Elliptic functions, periodic lattice, equivalence classes

In summary, the conversation discusses equivalence classes and cosets in the context of a set with a basis. It is mentioned that equivalence classes form a partition and that two classes can be equal or disjoint. The notation for equivalence classes and their definition is also discussed. Finally, an example is given to illustrate how a function can be defined using equivalence classes.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

##\Omega = {nw_1+mw_2| m,n \in Z} ##

##z_1 ~ z_2 ## is defined by if ##z_1-z_2 \in \Omega ##

My notes say ##z + \Omega## are the cosets/ equivalence classes , denoted by ##[z] = {z+mw_1+nw_2} ##

Homework Equations

above

The Attempt at a Solution

So equivalance classe form a partition, i.e. two elements that are equivalent are within the same equivalence class,

But if I consider ##\Omega ## with basis ##w_1 = i ## ##w_2 =1 ##

##z_1 = 1/2 + i/2 ##, ##z_2 = 1/2-i/2##
Then ##z_1 - z_2 = i \in \Omega ## , ##(m=1, n=0)##

And so ##z_1 ~ z_2 ## so these two are in the same equivalent class right?

However my notes say that ##[z_1]## and ##[z_2]## are each equivalence classes, or is this definition not ##\all z \in C##, what is an efficient way to look, from the basis, which ##z \in C## are equivalent so how many equivalence classes there will be?

thanks in advance

- also a notation question:
Say ##~## is defined by the difference between ##x \in Z## being ##2##, then equivalence classes are odd and even numbers, and we use the notation ##[1],[7],[3]..## represent the same element for ##Z/\~##

Can you equally use the notation ##[1]=[7]## (mod 2) ?

So above I can either say:
- ##[z_1]=[z_2] ## (mod ##\Omega##)
OR
- ##[z_1],[z_2] ## represent the same element for ##C/\Omega##

and these mean the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

My notes say ##z + \Omega## are the cosets/ equivalence classes , denoted by ##[z] = {z+mw_1+nw_2} ##

Homework Equations

above

So equivalance classe form a partition, i.e. two elements that are equivalent are within the same equivalence class,
I think you are looking for "two equivalence classes are either equal or disjoint".

However my notes say that ##[z_1]## and ##[z_2]## are each equivalence classes, or is this definition not ##\all z \in C##, what is an efficient way to look, from the basis, which ##z \in C## are equivalent so how many equivalence classes there will be?

The latex for ~ is \sim.

[z] is the equivalence class of z. [w] is the equivalence class of w. If z ~ w then [z] and [w] are different names for the same set. You should think of [itex][\cdot][/itex] as a function from [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] to the set of equivalence classes.

Frequently we want to define a function from the set of equivalence classes to some other set where the image of [z] is given by a formula involving z; here we must check that the formula gives the same result for every [itex]w \in [z][/itex].

For example:

Since [itex]\{w_1,w_2\}[/itex] is a basis for [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], for each [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] there exists a unique [itex](n,m) \in \mathbb{Z}^2[/itex] and a unique [itex](u,v) \in [0,1)^2[/itex] such that [itex]z = (n + u)w_1 + (m + v)w_2[/itex]. Then [itex]z_1 \sim z_2[/itex] if and only if [itex]u(z_1) = u(z_2)[/itex] and [itex]v(z_1) = v(z_2)[/itex]. Hence we may define a bijection [itex]\phi[/itex] from the set [itex]E[/itex] of equivalence classes to [itex][0,1)^2[/itex] by [itex]\phi([z]) = (u(z),v(z))[/itex].

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

above

I think you are looking for "two equivalence classes are either equal or disjoint".

The latex for ~ is \sim.

[z] is the equivalence class of z. [w] is the equivalence class of w. If z ~ w then [z] and [w] are different names for the same set. You should think of [itex][\cdot][/itex] as a function from [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] to the set of equivalence classes.

Frequently we want to define a function from the set of equivalence classes to some other set where the image of [z] is given by a formula involving z; here we must check that the formula gives the same result for every [itex]w \in [z][/itex].

For example:

Since [itex]\{w_1,w_2\}[/itex] is a basis for [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], for each [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] there exists a unique [itex](n,m) \in \mathbb{Z}^2[/itex] and a unique [itex](u,v) \in [0,1)^2[/itex] such that [itex]z = (n + u)w_1 + (m + v)w_2[/itex]. Then [itex]z_1 \sim z_2[/itex] if and only if [itex]u(z_1) = u(z_2)[/itex] and [itex]v(z_1) = v(z_2)[/itex]. Hence we may define a bijection [itex]\phi[/itex] from the set [itex]E[/itex] of equivalence classes to [itex][0,1)^2[/itex] by [itex]\phi([z]) = (u(z),v(z))[/itex].

pasmith said:
The latex for ~ is \sim.

For example:

Okay so equivalence classes may be either equal or disjoint, fine.
Now I think my confusion is coming from this... cosets form a partition of the set right?
To be a partition they must be disjoint,##z_1## and ##z_2## are not, they are equal? But my notes say ##[z] ## are cosets?
Or cosets do not form a partition?
Or when my notes say ##[z] ## are cosets it is reffering to non-equivalent ##z_i ## s ?

thanks

1. What are elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions are a type of complex function that are periodic and have two periods that are not parallel. They are important in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

2. What is a periodic lattice?

A periodic lattice is a type of geometric structure that consists of repeating identical units, called cells, in a regular pattern. It is often used to represent the periodicity of elliptic functions.

3. How are elliptic functions related to the periodic lattice?

Elliptic functions can be represented as functions on the complex plane, and the periodic lattice can be used to visualize the behavior of these functions. The lattice points represent the poles and zeros of the function, and the behavior of the function is determined by the shape and size of the lattice.

4. What are equivalence classes in the context of elliptic functions?

In mathematics, equivalence classes are sets that contain elements that are considered equivalent under a certain relation or property. In the context of elliptic functions, equivalence classes refer to sets of functions that have the same behavior and properties, such as the same number of poles and zeros, within a given periodic lattice.

5. How are equivalence classes used in the study of elliptic functions?

Equivalence classes are important in understanding the behavior and properties of elliptic functions. By grouping together functions that are equivalent, mathematicians can make generalizations and identify patterns, which can help in solving problems and making predictions about the behavior of these functions.