1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Capacitance Question

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the equivalent capacitance of the four capacitors in the figure below? Take C1 = 2.6 µF, C2 = 4.1 µF, C3 = 3.9 µF, and C4 = 1.1 µF.

2. Relevant equations
    Cequiv of capacitor in series = (1/C1)+(1/C2)+(1/C3)+(1/C4)
    Then take the reciprocal of the answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I actually happen to know that the answer is 0.705 but I can't figure out how exactly to get that answer. I have tried everything from plugging the numbers directly into the equation above and almost every combination I could think of.
    It's frusterating because I think it's a simple question but I can not get the right answer using my methods. If anyone can help that would be great, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2
    Did you add c2 and c3 as if they're resistors in series?
    after doing that, pretend that value represents a new capacitor at that same location. and add that capacitor to c4 and c1 as if they're resistors in parallel.

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Cequiv of capacitor in series = (1/C1)+(1/C2)+(1/C3)+(1/C4)

In this problem the above formula is not relevant because it has a combination of series and parallel circuits. The formula becomes

1/Ceff = 1/C1 + 1/(C2+C3) + 1/C4

Now find Ceff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook