I Equivalent paths to the Christoffel symbols

Summary
I'm wondering under what circumstances deriving Christoffel symbols in two different ways will produce the same results.
I've noticed that for both the surface of a sphere and a paraboloid, one arrives at the same Christoffel symbols whether using

[tex] \Gamma^i_{kl} = \frac {1}{2} g^{im} ( \frac {\partial g_{mk} }{\partial x^l} + \frac {\partial g_{ml}}{\partial x^k} - \frac {\partial g_{kl}} {\partial x^m} )
[/tex] which assumes [itex]

\nabla g=0 [/itex], or by embedding them in (flat) three dimensional space and taking the inner product of the partial derivatives of the basis vectors and the contravariant forms of those basis vectors, as in

[tex] \Gamma ^k_{ij} = \frac { \partial \bf{e}_i}{ \partial x^j} \cdot { \bf {e} ^k} [/tex]

and I'm wondering why this is the case, and if it is always so. Is it because I'm tacitly assuming [itex]

\nabla g=0 [/itex] in the three-space as well?

I'm still fascinated with this [itex] \nabla g =0 [/itex] matter, when it's true and when it isn't. I know that like anything else in mathematics one can either take it as an axiom or derive it from other axioms, but sometimes in the latter case I don't see where it comes from.

For instance, if I find the Christoffel symbols for the surface of a sphere using the method shown in this video (rather like the second approach I mentioned above)

there is no explicit mention of [itex] \nabla g =0 [/itex], but the results are the same as if I had started with that assumption and then calculated them using the first equation above, which is derived directly from it.

It's clear to me that one ordinarily assumes [itex] \nabla g =0 [/itex] in a flat 3-space with Cartesian coordinates, but I don't quite see why that by itself would imply that it's also true in any 2-space embedded inside it. Not all things carry over like that. For instance, a zero curvature tensor in the flat 3-space doesn't imply a zero curvature tensor in the embedded sphere.