Equivilence Relations And Classes Problems

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PeteSteve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Classes Relations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
PeteSteve
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi guys

I am having trouble with this question (i have attached). Any help with it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Pete
 
Attachments
  • problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
dear PeteSteve
you are expected to prove that the relation ~ is reflexiv,symmetric and transitive.
To show that ~ in 1a is reflexiv you must show that x ~ x for all x in Z . You can prove this by observing that 0 = x- x is divisible by m. The symmetric and transifive case can be proven in a similar way.
 
Hi dalle

I understand what I need to do now, thanks a lot for your help with the problem

Pete