1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error Analysis On Excel Questions

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The error part of my physics labs have been takin up a lot of time lately. Anyways, say I have 10 numbers for time measurements like 3.53 s, 5.32 s, 3.57 s, 4.89 s, 3.24 s, etc...
    and my reaction time is say +/- 0.20 s. I want to average these 10 values out but I have to associate an error reading like with the final value so for example my final value would like like : avg time = 3.23 +/- 0.13 s.

How would I use Microsoft Excel to find that final error value? I know that I could find the standard deviation but that takes forever on paper, and what/how exactly would I propgate it with my reaction time?

2. Relevant equations

I think you'd have to use those statistics forumlas on Excel

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2
    ok to rephrase it, say I find my standard deviation to be 0.08947 using Excel. My reaction time is 0.20 s and my average value is 1.41 s. How would I incorporate/propogate the rxn time and stnd deviation to find the final +/- error value?

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The error in your avarage value is given by the standard deviation of the set of measurements divided by the square root of 10 - 1, thus divided by three. Your reaction time is incorporated automatically in the spread of the measurements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?