1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error estimate for alterning series

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the smallest integer n that ensures that the partial sum [tex] s_n [/tex] approximates the sum s of the series with error less than 0.001 in absoulute value.

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{(n+1)}\frac{n}{2^n} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] {\abs{s-s_n}} <= s_{(n+1)} = a_{(n+1)}[/tex]

(How can I do absolute value in LaTex?)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've got this far.

error <= first term = [tex] \frac{n+1}{2^{n+1}} [/tex]

(because (-1)^n+1 doesn't matter in this example)

[tex] s - s_n < \frac{n+1}{2^n+1} < 0.001 [/tex]

Here I get lost.
    From example in my textbook which says

[tex] a_n = \frac{1}{1+2^{n+1}} [/tex]

This error is less than 0.001 if [tex] 1+2^{(n+1)} > 0.001 [/tex] Since [tex] 2^{10} = 1024, n+1 = 10 [/tex] will do. Hence n = 9.

In my example I have n on both sides of the fraction. So what do I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2
    Since n has to be an integer, I would say just brute force it.

4. Nov 22, 2007 #3
    Brute force it? Do you mean just check in my calculator ? If you are referring to that, it doesn't help me since I'm not allowed to have anything in my test but a pencil and a paper.

5. Nov 22, 2007 #4
    I wouldn't expect to be able to solve this analytically. All I can say is that I know it exists: (n+1)/2^{n+1} tends to zero monotonically.

6. Nov 23, 2007 #5
    Well, I got the answer n = 9 by doing exactly as the example from the textbook but the answer is n = 13.

What does analytical and monotonical mean ?

7. Nov 23, 2007 #6
    I got n = 13 via brute force.

Edit: In all fairness, it's not that hard to calculate the term when n = 13; the powers of 2 are pretty easy. I reckon any test question similar to this would have a more simple question in store.

8. Nov 23, 2007 #7
    Yeah but you see Kreizhn I'm not allowed to use calculator so I have to use some method and solve the problem by hand. Sure, I can check if the answer is correct with my calculator but that doesn't help me when I get to the test where i'm not allowed to have anything but a pencil.

The problem for me is Algebra. I must have slept over or skipped some lectures few years ago when some Algebra rules were being tought.

I don't have any problem understanding the example from the book but I don't know how to find n in my problem. That's my question.

EDIT: It's true, the powers of 2 are really easy but when it comes to 6 or 8 or 112 what then? That is the reason I have to find some method finding n

9. Nov 23, 2007 #8
    That is my point though; as ZioX had said, finding the solution to the previous problem is very difficult to do analytically even with a CAS. If you get a similar question on a test where you're not allowed to use a calculater, it's likely that the problem will be simplified such that you won't need one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?