1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error estimate for Taylor polynomials

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    Use the error estimate for Taylor polynomials to find an n such that

| e - (1 + (1/1!) + (1/2!) + (1/3!) + ... + (1/n!) | < 0.000005

all i have right now is the individual components...

f(x) = ex
    Tn (x) = 1/ (n-1)!

k/(n-1)! |x-a|n+1 = 0.000005
    a = 0
    x = 1

I don't know where to go from here

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The max error if your last term is$$
    \frac {f^{(n)}(a)(x-a)^n}{n!}$$ is$$
    \left | \frac {f^{(n+1)}(c)(x-a)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\right |$$As you have already observed ##a=0## and ##x = 1##. How big can that derivative term be for ##0\le c\le 1##? Once you have that, figure out how large ##n## needs to be to make it small enough.

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    how do i figure out c?

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4
    i just looked over my notes again. we started this problem in class, and our professor told us to pick a value for k above the value of e.

so if k is 3,
    3/(n+1)! = 0.000005

so now i have to find n?

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't have to "figure out c". You have the nth derivative of your function evaluated at c, and c is in the interval [0,1]. You don't know the exact value of c so you ask yourself, "how big can ##f^{(n)}(c)= e^c## be for c in [0,1]. Do you understand why your instructor says to pick k > e?

To answer your last question, you don't want 3/(n+1)! = 0.000005. You would be very lucky to find an integer n giving equailty. You want 3/(n+1)! < 0.000005. Writing it a different way, you want$$
    (n+1)! > \frac 3 {.000005}$$Factorials grow very quickly. Is shouldn't be difficult to check by hand how big n needs to be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook