1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error estimation using differentials

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A force of 500N is measured with a possible error of 1N. Its component in a direction 60° away from its line of action is required, where the angle is subject to an error of 0.5°. What (approximately) is the largest possible error in the component?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The component force is [tex] F_x = F cos \theta [/tex]

so [tex] lnF_x~=~lnF~+~lncos\theta[/tex]

applying differentials: [tex]\frac{dF_x}{F_x} = \frac{dF}{F} + \frac{d~cos\theta}{cos\theta} (-sin\theta) [/tex][tex] =\frac{dF}{F} + \frac{sin^{2} \theta}{cos\theta}d\theta[/tex]

plugging in values [tex] \frac{dF_x}{F_x} = \frac{1}{500} + \frac{3}{4} \frac{2}{1} \frac{1}{2} \frac{\pi}{180} = 0.002 + 0.013 = 0.015[/tex]
    so the error is [itex] (0.015)(500)cos(60) = 3.75N[/itex]

The solution says 4.28N, however, which I confirmed by checking each error combination. Where am I going wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You differentiated incorrectly. You should have
    $$\frac{dF_x}{F_x} = \frac{dF}{F} + \frac{d\theta}{\cos\theta}(-\sin\theta).$$

4. May 15, 2014 #3

Gotcha, I figured it would be something simple like that! Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted