Error in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses simulating the impact of a cricket ball on a bat and an error that occurs when using custom materials. The suggestion is to create a custom material from an existing steel, without changing any properties, and then creating a second custom material with all properties identical to the steel. If both custom materials work, the issue may be with incorrect properties in the custom material. The conversation also mentions the addition of bulk modulus, instantaneous shear modulus, long term shear modulus, and decay constant, and asks where they can be added in Ansys or Abaqus.
OmkarE11
TL;DR Summary
Help with explicit dynamics.
I am tring to simulate impact of cricket ball on a bat. Whenever I try to simulate with custom materials it shows an error like 'Solver initialization failed. See the log file.' But when I carry out with steel as the material it works fine. Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My experience is with Abaqus explicit rather than Ansys explicit, so take this accordingly. You have a model working with a steel. Then I would create a custom material from that steel without changing any properties. If that worked, I would create a a second custom material, and specify all properties identical to the same steel. If either of those two custom materials fail, your problem is in the custom material process. If both of the custom steels work, then the problem is an incorrect property in your custom material.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
My experience is with Abaqus explicit rather than Ansys explicit, so take this accordingly. You have a model working with a steel. Then I would create a custom material from that steel without changing any properties. If that worked, I would create a a second custom material, and specify all properties identical to the same steel. If either of those two custom materials fail, your problem is in the custom material process. If both of the custom steels work, then the problem is an incorrect property in your custom material.
Can you tell me from where I can add bulk modulus, instantaneous shear modulus, long term shear modulus and decay constant? I am Ansys or Abaqus.

1. What is ANSYS Explicit Dynamics?

ANSYS Explicit Dynamics is a finite element analysis software tool used for solving highly dynamic, transient problems involving large deformations, material failure, and contact interactions. It is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and defense for simulating impact, crash, and explosion scenarios.

2. What is "Error in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics"?

"Error in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics" refers to any unexpected or incorrect behavior that occurs while using the software. This can include issues with the simulation setup, convergence problems, or errors in the input data. It is important to carefully review and troubleshoot any errors that arise to ensure accurate and reliable results.

3. How can I troubleshoot errors in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics?

To troubleshoot errors in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics, it is important to carefully review the input data and simulation setup. Check for any incorrect or missing data, ensure that the boundary conditions and material properties are accurately defined, and adjust the simulation settings if necessary. It may also be helpful to consult the ANSYS documentation or seek assistance from technical support.

4. What are some common sources of errors in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics?

Some common sources of errors in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics include incorrect input data, improper simulation setup, and convergence issues. In addition, errors can also arise from modeling complex contact interactions, material failure, or large deformations. It is important to carefully review and validate all input data to avoid these errors.

5. How can I prevent errors in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics?

To prevent errors in ANSYS Explicit Dynamics, it is important to carefully review and validate all input data before running a simulation. Ensure that all boundary conditions and material properties are accurately defined, and that the simulation settings are appropriate for the problem being solved. It may also be helpful to perform a convergence study to ensure that the results are reliable and accurate.