Overlapping geometry in ANSYS fluent

In summary, the conversation discusses an error that occurs during meshing in ANSYS Fluent for a 3D CFD simulation of a laboratory. The error is caused by overlapping geometry in the contact regions and can be resolved by using ANSYS's geometry building and meshing tool or Gambit. The geometry was initially built in AutoCAD, but it is suggested to rebuild it with more spacing between walls to avoid intersecting rooms. The complexity of the geometry may also cause computational issues.
tj00343
I'm performing a 3D CFD simulation in ansys fluent on a laboratory in order to verify the pressure map and overall ventilation design. During meshing, ansys is displaying the following error "The mesh file exporter does not support overlapping geometry in Contact Regions. Please resolve the issue and try again"
I build the geometry in Autocad by drawing an outline of the partitions, extruding, and adding surfaces for boundary conditions.Afterwards, I sliced up the volume in the ansys workbench design modeler. I can't seem to understand what the error is trying to tell me.

I want someone to tell me what this error means and possibly point me in the direction of fixing it as I'm no CFD expert and I'm still learning .

Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Thank You

Attachments

• Mesh File.png
    Mesh File.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,361
  • Design modeler file.png
    Design modeler file.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,429
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can venture a guess: The autoCAD software you're using builds the geometry a little bit different than what ANSYS/Fluent likes, creating overlapping geometry at one or more points. Depending on what version of Fluent you're using, you'll want to use either the geometry building and meshing tool that comes with ANSYS for the newer ones, or you'll want to use Gambit for the older versions of Fluent.

Oh wait, I just saw the images...If you're already doing that, I guess I can only say, that with a geometry as complicated looking as what you show there, you might want to go a different route. It looks like several rooms stuck together. All it takes is for one room to slightly intersect with another to throw that error. You might have to rebuild it from scratch, adding a bit of spacing between walls. I hope you have a computer that can solve that thing. As you refine it, it's going to get really ugly really quick as the number of cells and nodes increase.

1. What is overlapping geometry in ANSYS Fluent?

Overlapping geometry in ANSYS Fluent refers to the situation where two or more objects or surfaces intersect or overlap with each other in a computational domain. This can often occur in complex geometries and can pose challenges for simulation and analysis.

2. How does overlapping geometry affect my simulation results?

Overlapping geometry can have a significant impact on the accuracy and reliability of simulation results. It can cause issues with meshing, boundary conditions, and solution convergence, leading to inaccurate or unrealistic results. Therefore, it is important to properly handle overlapping geometry in ANSYS Fluent to ensure accurate simulations.

3. How can I handle overlapping geometry in ANSYS Fluent?

There are several methods for handling overlapping geometry in ANSYS Fluent, depending on the specific case. These include using a conformal mesh, defining shared and separate boundaries, using virtual topology, or employing the immersed boundary method. It is important to carefully consider the geometry and physics of the problem to choose the most appropriate method.

4. Can ANSYS Fluent automatically detect and handle overlapping geometry?

Yes, ANSYS Fluent has features and tools that can automatically detect and handle overlapping geometry. These include the contact detection tool, which can identify and resolve intersections between bodies, and the virtual topology feature, which can automatically remove overlapping regions in the mesh.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to handling overlapping geometry in ANSYS Fluent?

While ANSYS Fluent has various tools and methods for handling overlapping geometry, there can be limitations or drawbacks depending on the complexity of the geometry and the simulation. In some cases, manual intervention may be required to resolve overlapping regions, and this can add to the computational cost and time. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and choose the most appropriate approach for each specific case.