1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Error in solutions or am I doing something wrong?

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is quite simple, but for some reason I'm getting the wrong answer. I am given a longitudinal wave where the vertical displacement is given by [tex]z(x, t) = Acos(....)[/tex]. I must calculate the vertical acceleration at some time t and position x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just differentiate twice with respect to time and get [tex][-\omega^{2}A][z(x,t))][/tex]. Correct?

This is not the first time I have encountered a solution error (if it is the case).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    I think you have an extra A in that answer.

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    Assuming the (...) argument of the cosine is just [itex]\omega t[/itex], then

[tex]
    \frac{dz}{dt}=A\frac{d}{dt}\cos[\omega t]=-A\omega\sin[\omega t]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d^2z}{dt^2}=-A\omega\frac{d}{dt}\sin[\omega t]=-A\omega^2\cos[\omega t]=-\omega^2 z
    [/tex]

So willem is correct, you multiplied by an extra [itex]A[/itex].

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4
    Ah, yes sorry I did not mean to put that extra [tex]A[/tex] there.

But it should read [tex]-\omega^{2}Acos(....)[/tex]

This was my original answer and its still wrong.

Ehhh..

6. Feb 6, 2010 #5
    What is the argument of cosine? You keep putting "..." in there, just write it out for me to help you.

7. Feb 6, 2010 #6
    The argument is [tex]cos(kx -\omega t)[/tex]

8. Feb 6, 2010 #7
    Hmm, still doesn't seem to change anything

[tex]
    \frac{dz}{dt}=A\frac{d}{dt}\cos[kx-\omega t]=\omega A\sin[kx-\omega t]
    [/tex]

because you have a [itex]-\omega[/itex] coming from the argument and then a negative sign coming from the derivative of cosine.

[tex]
    \frac{d^2z}{dt^2}=\omega A\frac{d}{dt}\sin[kx-\omega t]=-\omega^2A\cos[kx-\omega t]=-\omega^2z
    [/tex]

What is telling you your answer is wrong, your textbook, website, intuition, etc??

9. Feb 6, 2010 #8
    It is a website. I considered the possibility of my syntax being wrong, but I went over it and couldn't find any error. It tells us to express the answer in terms of specific variables, which I did.

I dont know. This isn't the first time the website has made a mistake, so I wouldn't be surprised if its happened again.

10. Feb 6, 2010 #9
    Did you write it as [itex]-\omega^2z[/itex] or [itex]-\omega^2A\cos[kx-\omega t][/itex]? If you wrote the latter, I haven't a clue as to what the website would be asking you, unless you were given some constants to use?

11. Feb 6, 2010 #10
    Copied and pasted from the site:

"Express the vertical acceleration in terms of [tex]\omega, g, k, A[/tex], and the independent variables [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]t[/tex]."

Keep in mind that [tex]\omega = \sqrt{g k}[/tex]

I came up with a[tex]_{z} (x, t) = - g k Acos(kx - \omega t) [/tex] (as my officially submitted answer)

which is equal to [tex]-\omega^{2} z(x, t)[/tex]

12. Feb 6, 2010 #11
    That looks like the correct formula to me, I do not know why you would be getting it wrong.

13. Feb 6, 2010 #12
    Thanks. All I needed was a secondary supporting opinion. I will take it up with the instructor then.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook