Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Errors in using multiple functions in matlab

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    Please I need your assistance in solving this matlab problem. Thanks for your anticipated help

I have three functions

First one

function f_PR_W=newtonphasemolefraction1(W_PR, z,C,K_PR )
    f_PR=0;
    for c=1:C

f_PR_W=f_PR+z(c).*(1-K_PR(c))./(1+W_PR.*(K_PR(c)-1));
    end

Another function

function fdot_PR_W=newtonphasemolefraction2(W_PR, z,C,K_PR )
    fdot_PR=0;

for c=1:C
    fdot_PR_W=fdot_PR+z(c).*(K_PR(c)-1).^2/(W_PR.*(K_PR(c)-1)+1).^2;

end

The third function

function [W_PR,err,k,f_PR_W]=newton1(newtonphasemolefraction1,newtonphasemolefraction2,W_PR,Tol_W_PR,Tol_f_PR,maxIter)

for k=1:maxIter
    p1=W_PR-newtonphasemolefraction1(W_PR)/newtonphasemolefraction2(W_PR);
    err=abs(p1-W_PR);
    relerr=2*err/(abs(p1)+Tol_W_PR);
    W_PR=p1;
    f_PR_W=newtonphasemolefraction1(W_PR);
    if (err<Tol_W_PR)|(relerr<Tol_W_PR)|(abs(f_PR_W)<Tol_f_PR),break,end
    end

I call the three functions using

[W_PR,err,k,f_PR_W]=newton1(newtonphasemolefraction1,newtonphasemolefraction2,W_PR,Tol_W_PR,Tol_f_PR,maxIter)

I received the following error

"Error using newtonphasemolefraction1 (line 3)
    Not enough input arguments."

And all input arguments were defined: K_PR=[0.01546,0.5,1.432],W_PR=0.25,Tol_W_PR=10^-6, Tol_f_PR=10^-10, maxIter=100, z=[0.1 0.3 0.6],C=3

Please assist.

Best regards,
    adeeyo

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2
    Well...I don't know matlab, so allow me to just indicate generic stuff that does not seem to be correct in your program.

First, you declare newtonphasemolefraction1(W_PR, z,C,K_PR ); that is, this function takes 4 arguments...yet, when you are using it inside of newton1, you call it with only 1 argument...it is line 3 within the function newton1, so maybe that is the error you are getting.

By the way, do you really need to pass the first two functions as arguments to the third one so that you can use them inside of it?...I doubt that very much, that is not the case for many other programming languages.

4. May 16, 2012 #3
    Gsal

Thanks for your reply

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook