Escape speed of electron from 10 nC charged glass sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
mitchy16
Messages
23
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


What is the escape speed of an electron launched from the surface of a 1.0-cm-diameter glass sphere that has been charged to 10nC?

Homework Equations


Given:
d= 1.0cm
r= 0.05cm= 0.0005m
q1 = 10nC = 10 x 10-9 (sphere)
q2 = -1.6 x 10-19 (electron)

Equation:
U = (kq1q2)/r
KE= ½mv2

The Attempt at a Solution


So, if the sum of kinetic and potential energy is supposed to be zero, then I get:

KE + U = 0
½me(ve)2 + (kq1q2)/r = 0
½(9.11 x 10-31)(v)2 + ( (8.99 x 109) (10 x 10-9) (-1.6 x 10-19) ) / (0.0005) = 0

If I solve the above equation^^, I get ve= 2.5 x 108 m/s, which is incorrect. The correct answer is 8.0 x 107 m/s. I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly, any help is appreciated. Sorry about the mess, I can't seem to figure out how to use TeX!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Delta² said:
Your mistake is in the radius of the glass sphere Its 0.5cm=0.005m!
Thank you, can't believe I didn't catch that. I re-did and got the correct answer!