1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Escape Velocity, with varying acceleration as a(y)

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find: The minimum initial velocity at which a projectile should be shot vertically from the surface of the Earth so that it does not fall back to Earth. Note: This requires that v=0 as y approaches infinity.

2. Relevant equations
    a = -g[(R^2)/((R+y)^2)]
    g = 9.81 m/s^2
    R = 6356 km (6.356E6 m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thought process is to substitute dv/dt for a and integrate to get to velocity, but it seems like I want to find velocity as a function of position? I am stuck, it is the acceleration as a function of position that is confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2
    acceleration due to gravity is a function of position

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can use the chain rule to write
    $$a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dy}.$$

5. Apr 9, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using conservation of energy is the easiest way to approach this if you know how that works.

6. Apr 9, 2015 #5
    So using the substitution a = vdv/dy and the given equation for acceleration, then separating variables, I should be able to integrate both sides and solve for velocity with respect to y. Let me try that.

7. Apr 9, 2015 #6
    After integration, I find v^2 = 2g(R^2)/(R+y) + C. Is it valid to say that C is zero because v is zero as y goes to infinity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted