Escape Velocity, with varying acceleration as a(y)

In summary, the minimum initial velocity at which a projectile should be shot vertically from the surface of the Earth is 9.81 m/s, which requires that v=0 as y approaches infinity.
Chris T.

Homework Statement

Find: The minimum initial velocity at which a projectile should be shot vertically from the surface of the Earth so that it does not fall back to Earth. Note: This requires that v=0 as y approaches infinity.

Homework Equations

a = -g[(R^2)/((R+y)^2)]
g = 9.81 m/s^2
R = 6356 km (6.356E6 m)

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process is to substitute dv/dt for a and integrate to get to velocity, but it seems like I want to find velocity as a function of position? I am stuck, it is the acceleration as a function of position that is confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
acceleration due to gravity is a function of position

Chris T. said:

Homework Statement

Find: The minimum initial velocity at which a projectile should be shot vertically from the surface of the Earth so that it does not fall back to Earth. Note: This requires that v=0 as y approaches infinity.

Homework Equations

a = -g[(R^2)/((R+y)^2)]
g = 9.81 m/s^2
R = 6356 km (6.356E6 m)

My thought process is to substitute dv/dt for a and integrate to get to velocity, but it seems like I want to find velocity as a function of position? I am stuck, it is the acceleration as a function of position that is confusing me.
You can use the chain rule to write
$$a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dy}.$$

Chris T. said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a = -g[(R^2)/((R+y)^2)]
g = 9.81 m/s^2
R = 6356 km (6.356E6 m)

Using conservation of energy is the easiest way to approach this if you know how that works.

vela said:
You can use the chain rule to write
$$a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dy}.$$
So using the substitution a = vdv/dy and the given equation for acceleration, then separating variables, I should be able to integrate both sides and solve for velocity with respect to y. Let me try that.

Dick said:
Using conservation of energy is the easiest way to approach this if you know how that works.
After integration, I find v^2 = 2g(R^2)/(R+y) + C. Is it valid to say that C is zero because v is zero as y goes to infinity?

1. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body. It is the speed at which the kinetic energy of the object is equal to the gravitational potential energy of the body.

2. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity is calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the body, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the body.

3. Does the acceleration of an object affect escape velocity?

Yes, the acceleration of an object can affect its escape velocity. The greater the acceleration, the greater the escape velocity needed to overcome the gravitational pull of the body.

4. How does varying acceleration affect escape velocity?

Varying acceleration can affect escape velocity in two ways. First, a higher acceleration will result in a higher escape velocity. Second, if the acceleration is not constant, the escape velocity will also vary at different points in the object's trajectory.

5. Can escape velocity be exceeded?

Yes, escape velocity can be exceeded. This can happen if the object receives a boost of energy, such as from a rocket engine, that increases its speed beyond the escape velocity. However, this does not mean that the object will necessarily escape the gravitational pull of the body, as it also depends on the direction and angle of the object's trajectory.