1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Esters' high boiling point

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    • You have to show your attempts at answering the question, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.
    Why does 3-methylbutyl ethanoate have a higher boiling point than 3-methylbutan-1-ol and ethanoic acid?

Attempt at a solution: I know that the ester has a marginally greater molar mass but I wasn't sure if this is the only deciding factor, particularly considering the strength of the other interaction forces between alcohol and carboxylic acid molecules.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2
    I cant give you the exact answer because of the rules but I can tell you this...it has something to do with intermolecular forces of attraction and this link may help you.

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3
    I understand that intermolecular forces of attraction are stronger in alcohol and carboxylic acid but it doesn't make sense then that the ester would have a higher boiling point?

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4
    The intermolecular forces do not depend entirely on the ability of a molecule to make hydrogen bonds.

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5
    So would I be correct in saying that the ester's boiling point is slightly higher due to its larger molar mass?

7. Oct 22, 2016 #6
    Yes :)...and remember this 3-methylbutyl ethanoate has a higher density than both ethanoic acid and 3-methylbutyl-1-ol, thus it is easy to say it will have a higher b.p cause of that and beacuse the induced dipole-induced dipole forces are greater.

8. Oct 22, 2016 #7
    Hm... let´s compare various simple compounds with 6 heavy atoms.
    Hexane, C6H14: n-hexane 69 degrees, isomers less, down to neohexane, 50 degrees.
    Pentanols, C5OH12: 1-pentanol 138 degrees, isomers less, down to tertiary pentanol, 102 degrees.
    Ethers C5OH12: methyl tert-buthyl ether 55 degrees
    Aldehydes C5OH10: n-pentanal 102 degrees
    Ketones C5OH10: 2-pentanone 102 degrees, 3-methyl-2-butanone 92 degrees, 3-pentanone 101 degrees
    Acids C4O2H8: n-butyric acid 164 degrees, isobutyric acid 155 degrees
    Esters C4O2H8: ethyl acetate 77 degrees

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted