1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate p from sample of two Binomially Distributions

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    1. Suppose X~B(5,p) and Y~(7,p) independent of X. Sampling once from each population gives x=3,y=5. What is the best (minimum-variance unbiased) estimate of p?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]P(X=x)=\binom{n}{x}p^x(1-p)^{n-x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My idea is that Maximum Likelihood estimators are unbiased, and have asymptotic variance = Cramer-Rao lower bound. Also, C-R lower bound = minimum variance of unbiased estimators.
    So, since X and Y independent, [tex]X+Y \sim B(5+7,p)=B(12,p)[/tex]
    Thus, can we just compute the likelihood function and take the derivative?
    [tex]L = \binom{12}{8}p^8(1-p)^4[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dL}{dp} = 8p^7(1-p)^4 - 4p^8(1-p)^3[/tex]
    Thus, [tex]p=8/12=2/3[/tex]

Is that legit?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The method is OK as far as I know (not an expert on unbiased estimators), but I have a problem with this step:
    That's not what I get by putting dL/dp =0.

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3
    [tex]\frac{dL}{dp} = 8p^7(1-p)^4 - 4p^8(1-p)^3=0[/tex]
    [tex]p^7(1-p)^3[8(1-p)]-4p]=0[/tex]
    [tex]8-8p-4p=0[/tex] ignoring p=0,p=1
    [tex]8=12p \Rightarrow p=8/12=2/3[/tex]

Did I miss something?
    Note: I screwed up my fraction simplification previously if that's what you meant.

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

6. Dec 11, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I disagree with your expression for L, but agree with the final answer you get later. You only get B(n,p)+B(m,p) = B(n+m,p) when you perform a convolution (that is, sum over all the outcomes for each term). In your case you just have one outcome from each binomial, so you should use
    [tex] L = {5 \choose 3}p^3(1-p)^2 {7 \choose 5} p^5 (1-p)^2.[/tex] Of course, this has the form ##c p^8(1-p)^4,## so will give the same result you got.

7. Dec 11, 2012 #6
    Ahh yes, I thought about that also. It's nice to see I wasn't off-base by considering that way.
    Why does it not make statistical sense to use the L I suggested (which is based off the fact that X+Y~B(12,p) ?

8. Dec 11, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I already gave the explanation, although it was very brief. I mean that P(X+Y=8) = P(X=1,Y=7) + P(X=2,Y=6) + P(X=3,Y=5) + P(X=4,Y=4)+ P(X=5,Y=3), a sum of 5 terms, but you have only the term P(X=3,Y=5). Each separate term has p^8 * (1-p)^4, but with different coefficients.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook