Why isn't this a binomial distribution?

In summary: This is actually easier than you might think. Taking the negative binomial distribution with a success probability of 1/3, and assuming that each trial is independent, the probability of not rolling a red on any of the 12 trials is simply:P(X≤12) = 1-P(X=12) = 1-(1/3)^12 = 0.0001882
Of Mike and Men

Homework Statement

An ordinary die is painted red on two sides, white on two sides and blue on two sides. Find the probability we get no reds in 12 rolls of the die.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

GENERAL QUESTION:[/B]
I thought this would be a binomial distribution, but the book says it's geometric. I seem to have an issue between binomial, geometric, and negative binomial. I realize in binomial your random variable is the number of successes across a fixed # of independent trials, the negative binomial is the number of trials to get a fixed number of successes, and that a geometric is the number of trials to obtain the first success (which is a special case of the negative binomial). If there could be any way to clear this up, that'd be great. I've watched videos, etc. and I'm still struggling with determining the distributions.

ATTEMPT:

There is a fixed number of trials (n =12), the outcomes are dichotomized (Success = No Red, Fail = Red), there is a constant probability among all trials (p = 2/3), and each trial is independent. Letting X = number of red colors face up. This leads me to believe x ~ binomial (n=12, p=2/3). (I don't need to plug into the formula, as that's not where I'm confused). Meaning P(x=0).

The book says it is X = # of rolls to get a red side.
x ~ Geometric(p =p("fail") = 1/3).
And then would p(x=1)?

Is there any distinct way to separate which distribution to use, especially between these 3? I kind of see why they say its geometric, but I also don't see why mine is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try actually computing both of these probabilities? I suggest that you compare the CDF of the geometric distribution with the probability of rolling no red in 12 tries as given by the binomial distribution ...

Likes FactChecker
There is a difference between what is the distribution of the experiment versus what distribution can you use to answer one particular question. If you change the distribution for one particular question, you should still be able to work the problem both ways.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Orodruin said:
Did you try actually computing both of these probabilities? I suggest that you compare the CDF of the geometric distribution with the probability of rolling no red in 12 tries as given by the binomial distribution ...

Unless I'm doing it incorrectly, the binomial distribution is much, much, MUCH smaller (essentially 0%). I'm also not sure I'm using the correct x value with the geocdf . I'm checking p(x=12) which would just be around 99.22% The point of the problem set was to practice determining distributions, not necessarily solve them, but I've been trying to solve them as well.

Of Mike and Men said:
Unless I'm doing it incorrectly, the binomial distribution is much, much, MUCH smaller
You are doing it incorrectly. This is why you should always include your computations.

Hint: You are not looking for P(X=1) in the geometric case. This is the probability of rolling red on the first try ...

Orodruin said:
You are doing it incorrectly. This is why you should always include your computations.

Hint: You are not looking for P(X=1) in the geometric case. This is the probability of rolling red on the first try ...
Computations weren't really included because this assignment was to determine the distribution, not to find the probability.

Anyway, so I figure I want to find P(X≤12) since I want to find the probability of rolling a red on any of the 12 trials. Using geometcdf(1/3, 12)on TI-84 this should give me the cumulative probabilities of rolling a red on any of the 12 rolls. This gives me ~99.2%. Using the TI-84 for the binomial distribution (n=12, p=2/3, x=0) I get 0.0001882%

Of Mike and Men said:

Homework Statement

An ordinary die is painted red on two sides, white on two sides and blue on two sides. Find the probability we get no reds in 12 rolls of the die.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

GENERAL QUESTION:[/B]
I thought this would be a binomial distribution, but the book says it's geometric.

It is both geometric and binomial. If ##p = 1/3 = P(\text{red})## is the success (i.e., red) probability (not the failure probability as you chose it), then for ##X \sim \text{Binom}(n,p)## and ##Y \sim \text{Geom}(p)## we have ##P(X = 0) = P(Y > n) = (1-p)^n##.

Likes WWGD and Greg Bernhardt
Ray Vickson said:
It is both geometric and binomial. If ##p = 1/3 = P(\text{red})## is the success (i.e., red) probability (not the failure probability as you chose it), then for ##X \sim \text{Binom}(n,p)## and ##Y \sim \text{Geom}(p)## we have ##P(X = 0) = P(Y > n) = (1-p)^n##.
Which is what I have been trying to get the OP to realize for himself since post #2 ...

Of Mike and Men said:
Anyway, so I figure I want to find P(X≤12) since I want to find the probability of rolling a red on any of the 12 trials.
You want the probability of not rolling red in 12 trials ...

Which is 1- the value I got. I realize that. But the numbers are magnitudes of tens different.

Of Mike and Men said:
Which is 1- the value I got. I realize that. But the numbers are magnitudes of tens different.

Your presentation is impossible to follow. First, you must NEVER, EVER use the same symbol X for two very different things in the same problem. If you want to use X for the binomial random variable, then fine, do so, but do not use X also for the related geometric random variable. There are lots of other letters available, such as Y.

Assuming you mean ##X \sim \text{Binom}(12, 2/3)## is counting non-reds, you say (in post #6) that you want to compute ##P(X \leq 12)##. Of course, that will be 1.0 exactly, with no computations needed at all!

Last edited:
Of Mike and Men said:
No, it is not what you computed. You computed the probability of rolling at least one red in 12 tries.

Ohhhhhh ok. I THINK I follow now. For the geometric distribution, if Y = # of red sides I need to find P(Y>12) because I only want the red to show up on roll 12 or higher. This means I need to find the probability that it fails the first 12 times in a row. Or 1-P(Y<=12)?

I'm sorry it took me so long to see what you were saying...

Thanks all.

Of Mike and Men said:
Y = # of red sides
For Y to be geometric distributed, it is Y = # of tries until first red side. This is very different from what you are saying here.

Of Mike and Men said:
I need to find P(Y>12) because I only want the red to show up on roll 12 or higher. This means I need to find the probability that it fails the first 12 times in a row. Or 1-P(Y<=12)?
This is correct.

Likes Of Mike and Men

1. Why does the sum of the probabilities not equal 1 in this distribution?

A binomial distribution is a discrete probability distribution in which the sum of all probabilities equals 1. This means that there are only two possible outcomes for each trial and all trials are independent. If the sum does not equal 1, then this distribution cannot be classified as binomial.

2. Can a binomial distribution have more than two possible outcomes?

No, a binomial distribution can only have two possible outcomes for each trial. This is because it is based on a series of independent, identical trials with a fixed probability of success for each trial. If there are more than two possible outcomes, it would not fit the criteria for a binomial distribution.

3. Is it possible for the trials to not be independent in a binomial distribution?

No, in order for a distribution to be considered binomial, the trials must be independent. This means that the outcome of one trial does not affect the outcome of any other trial. If the trials are not independent, then the distribution cannot be binomial.

4. Why is the mean and standard deviation not equal in this distribution?

In a binomial distribution, the mean is equal to the product of the number of trials and the probability of success in each trial. The standard deviation is calculated by taking the square root of the product of the number of trials, the probability of success, and the probability of failure. If these values are not equal, then the distribution cannot be binomial.

5. Can a binomial distribution have a continuous variable?

No, a binomial distribution is a discrete probability distribution, which means that the variable must take on a finite or countable number of values. Continuous variables, such as height or weight, cannot be used in a binomial distribution because they can take on an infinite number of values.