1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate the density of the water

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Estimate the density of the water 5.7 km deep in the sea. (bulk modulus for water is B=2.0 x 10^9 N/m^2) By what fraction does it differ from the density at the surface?

2. Relevant equations
    P=(rho)gh=F/A=B(delta l/l)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have several equations above. I wanted so solve for rho using the first equation but I don't know pressure. I tried the second equations but I don't know Force or area. I tried the last equation but I would need delta l and l so basically I'm stuck. Some advice would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Well they do say estimate. So maybe try to work it out assuming that p doesn't change?

(Yes it changes, but does it change enough to matter? See what results you get and then decide.)

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3
    I don't understand. I'm suppose to be solving for p at a certain density. How can it not change?

5. Apr 24, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Have you calculated it using a uniform p as to the effect it will have on a bulk modulus of 2 * 109?

6. Apr 24, 2009 #5
    In 6 km, the change in pressure is significant.

Here's something to get you started:

Use the equation,

B=dP/(d(rho)/rho)

Manipulate and integrate,

integral of (d(rho)/rho) = integral of (dP/B)

That results in,

ln(rho2/rho1)=exp((P2-P1)/B)

Where you can say state 1 is the surface, and state 2 is the state at 5.7 km down.

You can then use the rho*g*h equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook