Estimate top quark branching ratios without calculating

In summary: The answer to this question is not given in the problem statement, so it cannot be answered in the summary.
ClaraBS

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to get an estimate of the branching ratios of the processes [/B]

t ---> b + W ---> b + c anti-s

t ---> b + W ---> b + anti-tau nu(tau)

without doing the calculations, just a qualitative estimation.
I know I have to take into account the way W decays leptonically or hadronically, but I cannot arrive to an answer.
Thanks a lot for any help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ClaraBS said:
I know I have to take into account the way W decays leptonically or hadronically
Well that is obvious from the problem statement.
What could lead to a deviation from a ratio of 1?
Is "c quark" a full and precise description of a quark, especially in QCD?

mfb said:
Is "c quark" a full and precise description of a quark, especially in QCD?

No, it is just a flavour eigenstate. I have to consider the CKM matrix relating flavour to mass eigenstates... So, given the CKM element ## V_{cs} = 0.974 ##, the probability for W to decay into c anti-s should be its square, ## 0.974^2 \approx 0.95 ## ?
But what about the leptonic channel?

Well, that is a contribution, but that effect is small.
What about colors?

The decay probability W->c ##\bar s## is certainly not 95%. That is just a relative value (relative to a diagonal CKM matrix).

It seemed to me really strange to get 95%, in fact, but I am definitely not getting the point :frown:

Concerning the CKM matrix: if the matrix would be diagonal (no transitions between generations), then the matrix element would be 1 for ##u \bar d##, ##c \bar s## and even for ##t \bar b##. The last one is impossible due to energy/momentum conservation of course. The "1" would just tell you that the two former decays have approximately the same probability. It does not tell you the absolute probability of any decay.
Now the matrix element does not give exactly 1. So ##c \bar s## is a bit less likely, because ##c \bar d## and ##u \bar s## can also happen.
This is a tiny effect, however - 5% difference.

What about colors? Quarks can have three different colors. For ##W \to c \bar s##, do you know which color the c quark gets? If not, do you care about it? If not, you should consider all possible cases as decay modes, and add their individual probabilities.

1. How is it possible to estimate top quark branching ratios without calculating?

This is possible because of the principle of conservation of energy and momentum, which states that the total energy and momentum of a system must remain constant. By using this principle, we can estimate the branching ratios without performing direct calculations.

2. What are the main assumptions made when estimating top quark branching ratios?

The main assumptions are that the top quark decays via the weak interaction and that the branching ratios are independent of each other. This means that the probability of a top quark decaying into a specific particle is not affected by the decay of other top quarks.

3. How accurate are the estimated top quark branching ratios?

The accuracy of the estimated branching ratios depends on the precision of the measurements used to make the calculations. In general, they can provide a good estimate of the branching ratios, but direct calculations may be needed for more precise results.

4. Can the estimated branching ratios be experimentally verified?

Yes, the estimated branching ratios can be compared to experimental data to verify their accuracy. If they are in agreement, it provides further evidence for the validity of the assumptions made in the estimation process.

5. What are the applications of estimating top quark branching ratios?

Estimating top quark branching ratios can help in predicting the outcomes of particle collisions in experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider. It can also aid in the development of new theories and models in particle physics.