1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

W+ decay modes neglect mass branching ratiosQ

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is that the decay modes for the ##W+## boson are , ##e^+ v_{e}, \mu^+ v_{\mu}, \tau^+ v_{\tau}, ud', cs' ##, where a ' denotes a anitquark, neglecting the masses of the decay products estimate the branching ratios of the ##W+##?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the lepton decays differ to quark decays in the way that quarks come in 3 colours.

I however thought that the quark decays would be reduced, as a pose to more likely, than the lepton decays by a factor of ##3##.

My reasoning is that , (I believe you treat the 2 quark system as a meson and so the colours must add to neutral, I don't know whether the situation differs if the quarks are unbound or you should consider them unbound in this decay, if someone could answer this, thanks?) , if one of the quarks takes a particular colour, the colour of the other antiquark,say, is immediatey constrained by this as it must be of the same colour, so there is only a ##1/3## chance that it gets the right colour.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

At this energy, the quarks can be considered as unbound. They will hadronize later, at a lower energy scale.

You can treat the different quark colors as different particles. Then this constraint is equivalent to "if one particle is a positron, then the other particle has to be an electronneutrino" (as opposed to other neutrinos, or quarks, or whatever) - nothing that would make the decay less likely.
    The colors just give three different decay modes: u green d' antigreen, u red d' antired, u blue d' antiblue.

4. Mar 30, 2015 #3
    Thanks. I see here as the W boson is colourless so the two quarks colour must sum to zero irrespective of whether it is a meson or not, in the general case of an unbound quark system the colour does not need to sum to zero?

5. Mar 30, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Right. Gluon+gluon -> quark+antiquark can lead to different colors, for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted