1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating Central pressure in Star

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    I have a question in an assignment that says "Estimate the central pressure of 0.5, 1.0, and50 solar mass stars. Compare these pressures to the central pressure of the sun"

I can estimate for the sun using the Hydrostatic equilibrium equation:

dP/dr = -GM(r)p(r)/R^2

since I know Mass of sun is 1 solar mass and I know the radius. However, when I want to calclulate the central pressure of the other solar mass stars.. I don't know the radius.. So is there a way for coming up with that? The assignment doesn't give me any more information. Should I assume the same radius as the sun?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    Here's my guess:

Use the scaling relation between stellar mass and radius:
    [tex] R \propto M^{\frac{n-1}{n+3}}[/tex]
    Where n is the exponent describing how the nuclear energy output scales with the core temperature: [itex]F \propto T^n[/itex].

(n=16 for CNO-cycle hydrogen burning. n=4 approximates hydrogen burning by p-p chain.)

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    maybe they just want you to use the same radius as our sun and compare the results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook