Estimation is over or under estimate

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the area under a graph using a Riemann sum, and determining if the given differential equation is an overestimate or underestimate without actually solving it. The method for determining if the graph is increasing or decreasing on the given interval is also mentioned.
dohsan

Homework Statement

If y''=-y^2, is this approximationg an over-estimation or an underestimation of the exact area?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Area of what? y''=(-y^2) is a differential equation. What does that have to do with an area?

I think this problem has to do with this equation... bc my teacher wrote it as a new problem and it confused me..

Write the Reimann sum that will approximate the area under the graph of the function y=f(x) that is continuous and postive over the interval [1,5] with n=8 using the right endpoint evaluation.

dohsan said:
I think this problem has to do with this equation... bc my teacher wrote it as a new problem and it confused me..

Write the Reimann sum that will approximate the area under the graph of the function y=f(x) that is continuous and postive over the interval [1,5] with n=8 using the right endpoint evaluation.

Ok, so to decide whether it is an overestimate or underestimate without actually solving the differential equation you need to at least decide whether y(x) is decreasing or increasing on [1,5]. Can you figure out how to do that?

Well, I believe you find y' which if f'(x), but not knowing what f is... it's quite confusing on how to find inc or dec on [1,5]. I just know if f'(x) > 0 .. it's inc.

1. What is the meaning of "estimation is over or under estimate"?

"Estimation is over or under estimate" refers to the process of making a prediction or approximation that is either higher or lower than the actual value. It is a common occurrence in scientific research and data analysis.

2. How do you know if your estimation is over or under estimate?

The best way to determine if your estimation is over or under estimate is to compare it to the actual value. If your estimation is higher than the actual value, it is an over estimate. If it is lower than the actual value, it is an under estimate.

3. Why is it important to be aware of over or under estimation?

Being aware of over or under estimation is important because it can affect the accuracy and reliability of your research or data analysis. It can also lead to incorrect conclusions or decisions based on faulty estimations.

4. What are some factors that can contribute to over or under estimation?

There are several factors that can contribute to over or under estimation, such as biased data, small sample sizes, flawed estimation methods, and human error. It is important to be aware of these factors and try to minimize their impact on your estimations.

5. How can you improve the accuracy of your estimations to avoid over or under estimation?

To improve the accuracy of your estimations and avoid over or under estimation, it is important to use reliable data, utilize multiple estimation methods, and consult with other experts in the field. It is also crucial to critically evaluate your estimations and adjust them as needed based on new information or data.