1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimation is over or under estimate

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If y''=-y^2, is this approximationg an over-estimation or an underestimation of the exact area?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Area of what? y''=(-y^2) is a differential equation. What does that have to do with an area?

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    I think this problem has to do with this equation... bc my teacher wrote it as a new problem and it confused me..

Write the Reimann sum that will approximate the area under the graph of the function y=f(x) that is continuous and postive over the interval [1,5] with n=8 using the right endpoint evaluation.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so to decide whether it is an overestimate or underestimate without actually solving the differential equation you need to at least decide whether y(x) is decreasing or increasing on [1,5]. Can you figure out how to do that?

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5
    Well, I believe you find y' which if f'(x), but not knowing what f is... it's quite confusing on how to find inc or dec on [1,5]. I just know if f'(x) > 0 .. it's inc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook