Etiquette in emailing a physics professor for an internship

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for emailing a professor for a potential internship opportunity. Key points include the suggestion to meet in person and keeping the email simple and polite. It is important to use proper grammar and to be clear about your interests and goals in the email. It is also advised to highlight any relevant skills and achievements. Overall, the email should come across as a cover letter expressing interest in potential research or intern opportunities.
sleventh
Hello All,

I am currently emailing a professor I hope to intern under but am unsure what to say. What are the key things to bring up when emailing in such a situation? and more specifically, how can I show interest in his work without sounds brown nose-ish? I am having a hard time finding his research papers and feel that just using the "key words" in his bio might be too vague. Thank you for any help!

sleventh

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you should meet him in person.

Well, what is it you want to find out? Is there a specific formal internship that you're trying to get, or are you simply interested in this person's work and trying to find out if he has a spot available for summer students?

It doesn't have to be an immaculate email. Keep it relatively simple and to the point, polite, and make an effort to use proper grammer (one would think that last point wouldn't need to be pointed out, but it always amazes me how many university students type like they haven't passed elementary school).

Choppy said:
make an effort to use proper grammer

Irony.

@ Dickfore: The email is asking to meet him in person, but I do not want to give a poor first impression.

@Choppy: The internship is nothing in specific, so the email will be out of the blue. I am hoping to gain experience and maybe a good recommendation. But you are right, K.I.S.S., I am probably over complicating the email. Reading the email just seems to show I'll probably be more weight then contribution so I'm wondering how I could show interest and knowledge about his research, and maybe what qualifications, if any, I should bring up.

I wouldn't worry too much about demonstrating interest and knowledge in his research specifically, although it's not a bad idea for that initial contact to come across like a cover letter. Indicate what level you're at, what your interests and goals are, and that you would like an opportunity to discuss the potential for any research or intern opportunities this person might have. You can highlight any major achievements you've made, and skills such as programming or anything that might be related to what this person does.

1. What is the appropriate way to address a physics professor in an email?

The best way to address a physics professor in an email is by using their title and last name, such as "Professor Smith" or "Dr. Jones". It is important to show respect and professionalism in your email communication.

2. Is it necessary to include a subject line in my email to a physics professor?

Yes, it is important to include a clear and concise subject line in your email. This will help the professor understand the purpose of your email and will increase the chances of it being read and responded to.

3. How should I introduce myself and explain my interest in an internship opportunity?

Start your email by introducing yourself and stating your name, current educational institution, and your major or area of study. Then, briefly explain your interest in the specific internship opportunity and why you believe you would be a good fit for it.

4. How long should my email be when reaching out to a physics professor for an internship?

Your email should be concise and to the point, but also provide enough information for the professor to understand your interest and qualifications. Aim for 3-4 paragraphs, with a maximum of 1-2 paragraphs per section.

5. Is it appropriate to follow up if I don't receive a response from the professor?

It is acceptable to follow up with a physics professor if you do not receive a response after a week or so. However, make sure to keep your follow-up email polite and brief, and avoid seeming pushy or demanding.