Euclid's formula and real numbers

In summary, using all real numbers instead of just positive integers, the sides 2mn, msq + nsq, msq - nsq can still form a right triangle. This is already known in the mathematical community and the proof for Euclid's formula works for all real numbers as well. Additionally, there are no constraints on real Pythagorean triples and an infinite number of them can be generated by multiplying by a scaling factor.
e2m2a
TL;DR Summary
Generating the sides of a right triangle using all real numbers
Recently I created a spreadsheet that generates Phythagorean triples. Curious, instead of using only positive integers for the values of m and n, I found that as long as m>n, the sides 2mn, msq + nsq, msq - nsq, still form the sides of a right triangle even though m and n are non-whole numbers. I assume this is no big deal and that this is already known in the mathematical community. Does anyone know of a proof that Euclid's formula works for the set of all real numbers, not just for integer numbers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
e2m2a said:
Summary:: Generating the sides of a right triangle using all real numbers

Recently I created a spreadsheet that generates Phythagorean triples. Curious, instead of using only positive integers for the values of m and n, I found that as long as m>n, the sides 2mn, msq + nsq, msq - nsq, still form the sides of a right triangle even though m and n are non-whole numbers. I assume this is no big deal and that this is already known in the mathematical community. Does anyone know of a proof that Euclid's formula works for the set of all real numbers, not just for integer numbers?
Algebra works for real numbers as well as whole numbers. The proof is the same, whether the sides are real numbers or whole numbers.

PS There are no real constraints on real Pythagorean triples. If ##a, b## are positive real numbers, then ##a, b, \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}## is a Pythagorean triple.

Last edited:
ok thanks for your reply.

You might find this 3Blue1Brown video interesting

Likes jedishrfu
Given any Pythagorean triple and multiplying by some real number scaling factor will generate a real number Pythagorean triple too. An infinite number of them.

robphy said:
You might find this 3Blue1Brown video interesting

Cool. Thanks for the video.

1. What is Euclid's formula?

Euclid's formula is a mathematical equation that calculates the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two integers, a and b. It is written as GCD(a,b) = GCD(b, a mod b), where "a mod b" represents the remainder when a is divided by b. This formula is important in number theory and is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid.

2. How is Euclid's formula related to real numbers?

Euclid's formula can be used to find the GCD of any two real numbers, not just integers. This is because real numbers can be expressed as fractions, and the formula still holds true for fractions. Additionally, the concept of the GCD is important in understanding the properties of real numbers, such as divisibility and prime factorization.

3. What is the significance of Euclid's formula in mathematics?

Euclid's formula is significant because it provides a method for finding the GCD of two numbers, which is a fundamental concept in number theory. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as cryptography and computer science.

4. Can Euclid's formula be applied to more than two numbers?

Yes, Euclid's formula can be extended to find the GCD of multiple numbers. This is known as the extended Euclidean algorithm and is a useful tool in solving more complex problems involving GCDs.

5. Are there any limitations to Euclid's formula?

One limitation of Euclid's formula is that it can only be used to find the GCD of two numbers. It cannot be used to find the GCD of a set of numbers. It also assumes that the numbers being used are positive integers, so it cannot be applied to negative numbers or non-integer values.