Is this the correct way to find the Euler equation (strong form)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Euler's equation of the functional and its application in calculating the limit of a specific equation. The result is the Euler equation (strong form) of 2u' - 2u'' - e^u = 0. The conversation also includes a solution to this equation using the method of integration by parts.
Math100
Homework Statement
Find the Euler equation (strong form) for ## \int ((\mathrm{u}')^2+e^{\mathrm{u}}) \, dx ##.
Relevant Equations
Euler's equation: ## J(y)=\int_{a}^{b} F(x, y, y', y") \, dx ##
By the Euler's equation of the functional, we have
## J(\mathrm u)=\int ((\mathrm{u})^{2}+e^{\mathrm{u}}) \, dx ##.
Then ## J(\mathrm{u}+\epsilon\eta)=\int ((\mathrm{u}'+\epsilon\eta')^{2}+e^{\mathrm{u}+\epsilon\eta}) \, dx=\int ((\mathrm{u})'^{2}+2\epsilon\mathrm{u}'\eta'+\epsilon^{2}(\eta')^{2}+e^{\mathrm{u}}+\epsilon e^{\mathrm{u}}\eta) \, dx ##.
Note that ## \frac {J(\mathrm{u}+\epsilon\eta)-J(\mathrm{u})} {\epsilon}=\int (2\mathrm{u}'\eta'+\epsilon(\eta')^{2}+e^{\mathrm{u}}\eta) \, dx ##.
Consider the following limit:
## \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac {J(\mathrm{u}+\epsilon\eta)-J(\mathrm{u})} {\epsilon}=\int (2\mathrm{u}'\eta'+e^{\mathrm{u}}\eta) \, dx=0 ##.
Applying the method of integration by parts, we obtain
## \int (2\mathrm{u}'\eta'+e^{\mathrm{u}}\eta) \, dx=(2\mathrm{u}'\eta)-\int (2\mathrm{u}''\eta+e^{\mathrm{u}}\eta) \, dx=0 ##.
Thus ## 2\mathrm{u}'\eta-2\mathrm{u}''\eta-e^{\mathrm{u}}\eta=0\implies 2\mathrm{u}'-2\mathrm{u}''-e^{\mathrm{u}}=0 ##.
Therefore, the Euler equation (strong form) is ## 2\mathrm{u}'-2\mathrm{u}''-e^{\mathrm{u}}=0 ##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch, please review your Latex. For one, don't include standard English under tags.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Ouch, please review your Latex. for one, don't include standard English under tags.
Yes, I was working on it, but still doesn't seem to work. I will see what's wrong.

It's now fixed.
@Math100, for such complicated LaTeX, simpler is better.
For example, all the \mathrm items made it harder to find the two of them missing the leading slash.
Also, instead of \mathrm {u}, you could simplify this to \mathrm u. Braces -- { } -- can be eliminated from fractions, exponents, roots, and many other places if what's in the braces consists of a single character.
Instead of \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}, it's easier to use \lim_{x \to 0}.

Likes Math100
Mark44 said:
It's now fixed.
@Math100, for such complicated LaTeX, simpler is better.
For example, all the \mathrm items made it harder to find the two of them missing the leading slash.
Also, instead of \mathrm {u}, you could simplify this to \mathrm u. Braces -- { } -- can be eliminated from fractions, exponents, roots, and many other places if what's in the braces consists of a single character.
Instead of \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}, it's easier to use \lim_{x \to 0}.
May you check/verify the work and solution to see if it's correct/accurate?

Let's see. We have ##J[ u ]=\int_a^b F(x,u,u') \,dx=\int_a^b \left((u')^2+e^u\right)\,dx## and want to calculate
\begin{align*}
\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} J(u+\varepsilon \eta)&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} \int_a^b \left(\left( \left(u+\varepsilon \eta\right)'\right)^2+e^{u+\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx \\
&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} \int_a^b \left(\left(u'+\varepsilon \eta'\right)^2+e^u\cdot e^{\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx\\
&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} \int_a^b\left((u')^2+2u'\varepsilon \eta'+\varepsilon ^2(\eta')^2 + e^u\cdot e^{\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx\\
&\stackrel{\text{compact support}}{=}\int_a^b \left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0}\left((u')^2+2u'\varepsilon \eta'+\varepsilon ^2(\eta')^2 + e^u\cdot e^{\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx\\
&=\int_a^b\left( 2u' \eta' +e^u\eta \right)\,dx\\
&=2\left. u'\eta \right|_a^b -2\int_a^b \eta u'' \,dx +\int_a^b \eta e^u\,dx \\
&=\eta \left(2u'(b)-2u'(a)-2u'(b)+2u'(a)+ \int_a^b e^u\,dx \right)\\
&=\eta \int_a^b e^u\,dx
\end{align*}
That's what I get, but to be honest, variational calculus is not my strength. My solution is ##E(F)=e^u.## But I might have made a mistake.

Corrected. My mistake was that I took the factor ##e^u## for a sum.

Last edited:
Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Let's see. We have ##J[ u ]=\int_a^b F(x,u,u') \,dx=\int_a^b \left((u')^2+e^u\right)\,dx## and want to calculate
\begin{align*}
\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} J(u+\varepsilon \eta)&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} \int_a^b \left(\left( \left(u+\varepsilon \eta\right)'\right)^2+e^{u+\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx \\
&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} \int_a^b \left(\left(u'+\varepsilon \eta'\right)^2+e^u\cdot e^{\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx\\
&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} \int_a^b\left((u')^2+2u'\varepsilon \eta'+\varepsilon ^2(\eta')^2 + e^u\cdot e^{\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx\\
&\stackrel{\text{compact support}}{=}\int_a^b \left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0}\left((u')^2+2u'\varepsilon \eta'+\varepsilon ^2(\eta')^2 + e^u\cdot e^{\varepsilon \eta}\right)\,dx\\
&=\eta \int_a^b e^u\,dx
\end{align*}
That's what I get, but to be honest, variational calculus is not my strength. My solution is ##E(F)=e^u.## But I might have made a mistake.
I will wait.

What does "compact support" mean/indicate in this problem?

Math100 said:
What does "compact support" mean/indicate in this problem?
IIRC then it allowed me to switch integral and differentiation. But you have the same problem. Maybe I should look up the correct theorem.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
\begin{align*}
&=\eta \int_a^b e^u\,dx
\end{align*}

Corrected. My mistake was that I took the factor ##e^u## for a sum.
How to differentiate ## (u')^2+2u'\varepsilon \eta'+\varepsilon ^2(\eta')^2 + e^u\cdot e^{\varepsilon \eta} ##?

Never mind, I got it now. It's ## 2u' \eta' +2\varepsilon (\eta')^2+\eta e^{u+ \varepsilon \eta} ##. And at ## \varepsilon=0 ##, it's ## 2u' \eta' + \eta e^{u} ##.

Last edited:
In order to exchange a limit, and differentiation is a limit, with an integral we need a majorized convergence. That means, if we replace ##\varepsilon ## by ##1/n## and consider a sequence of functions ##f_n## then we have the theorem:

If there is a function ##h(x)## such that ##|f_n(x)| < h(x)## and ##\int h(x) <\infty ## then
$$
\lim_{n \to \infty} \int f_n(x)\,dx = \int \lim_{n \to \infty}f_n(x) \,dx
$$

With a compact interval ##[a,b]## (in tech speech: "with a compact support" for cases where the integral isn't over an interval but over some region ##\Omega##) we have such an upper limit ##h(x)## whenever the functions are integrable, e.g. continuous.

I also used ##\int_a^b u'' \,dx = \left[u'(x)\right]_a^b =u'(b)-u'(a).##

Last edited:
Likes Math100
But where does the solution ## E(F)=e^{u} ## come from?

## \eta \int_a^b e^{u} dx= \eta (e^{u(b)}-e^{u(a)}) ##

Math100 said:
Good question.

Let me have a look at the book (Olver, GTM 107, proposition 4.2 and theorem 4.4). We have without my sloppiness with ##\eta##
$$
\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} J(u+\varepsilon \eta)=\int_a^b \underbrace{e^{u(x)}}_{=E(F)=\delta J[ u(x) ]} \eta(x)\, dx
$$
and the theorems say that if ##f=u(x)## is an extremal of ##J[ f ]## then ##E(F)=\delta J[ u(x) ]=e^{u(x)}= 0## and that a solution has to be of the form ##E(F)=0.##

But this is never true on ##[a,b]## so there is probably no smooth extremal solution

I think my mistake is the integration step. Since ##\eta## depends on ##x## we cannot simply pretend as if it was a constant. So we actually have
\begin{align*}
\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0} J(u+\varepsilon \eta)&= 2u'(x)\eta(x)|_a^b+\int_a^b \left(e^u -2 u''(x)\right)\cdot \eta(x)\,dx
\end{align*}
How do we bring the constant term ##2u'(x)\eta(x)|_a^b## into the form ##\int_a^b \delta(J[ v(x) ])\cdot\eta(x) \,dx##?

Last edited:
I think your solution is correct, except that it should be ##+ e^u## not minus, and could be written a bit more along my way above.

Likes Math100
Math100 said:
Let's attack this without getting too hung up on mathematical rigor; i.e., we do it the way physicists do! :wink:

Start with the 1D action functional:$$J\left[u,u'\right]\equiv\int_{a}^{b}dx\left(\left(u'\right)^{2}+e^{u}\right)$$We want to find the function ##u(x)## which extremizes this action for fixed values of ##u(a),u(b)##. So we set the first variation of the functional to zero:$$0=\delta J\left[u,u'\right]=\int_{a}^{b}dx\left(2u'\delta\left(u'\right)+e^{u}\delta u\right)$$with the condition that ##\delta u(a)=\delta u(b)=0##. Thus,$$0=\int_{a}^{b}dx\left(2u'\left(\delta u\right)'+e^{u}\delta u\right)\qquad\text{ (𝛿 commutes with ´)}$$$$=\int_{a}^{b}dx\left(\left(2u'\delta u\right)'-2u''\delta u+e^{u}\delta u\right)=\left[2u'\delta u\right]_{a}^{b}+\int_{a}^{b}dx\left(-2u''\delta u+e^{u}\delta u\right)\qquad\text{ (integration by parts)}$$Because ##\delta u(x)## is zero at the integration limits, the term in brackets vanishes, leaving us with:$$0=\int_{a}^{b}dx\left(-2u''+e^{u}\right)\delta u$$And because ##\delta u(x)## is arbitrary for ##a<x<b##, this equation in turn requires that the coefficient in parentheses must itself be zero, leading to the Euler-Lagrange equation:$$0=-2u\left(x\right)''+e^{u\left(x\right)}$$

Likes Math100 and fresh_42
renormalize said:
Because ##\delta u(x)## is zero at the integration limits, the term in brackets vanishes, leaving us with:$$0=\int_{a}^{b}dx\left(-2u''+e^{u}\right)\delta u$$
That was the part I am looking for, thanks.

Let me summarize my calculations after all that confusion I have caused.

\begin{align*}
&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0}\left(\underbrace{\int_a^b (u')^2\,dx}_{\to 0} + \int_a^b(2u'\eta')\varepsilon \,dx+\int_a^b (\eta')^2\varepsilon^2 \,dx+\int_a^be^ue^{\eta \varepsilon }\,dx
\right)\\
&=\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0}\left( \varepsilon \cdot \underbrace{\left[2u'\eta\right]_a^b}_{=:C} -2\varepsilon \int_a^b \eta u''\,dx +\underbrace{\varepsilon^2 \int_a^b (\eta')^2\,dx}_{\to 0} +e^u \int_a^b e^{\eta \varepsilon }\,dx
\right)\\
&=C-2 \int_a^b u''\eta\,dx +\int_a^b e^u\underbrace{\left(\left. \dfrac{d}{d\varepsilon }\right|_{\varepsilon =0}e^{\varepsilon \eta}\,dx\right)}_{=\eta}\\
&=C+\int_a^b \underbrace{\left(-2u''(x)+e^{u(x)}\right)}_{=E(F)}\cdot \eta(x)\,dx
\end{align*}

Likes Math100 and renormalize

1. What is the Euler equation in its strong form?

The Euler equation in its strong form is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the forces acting on a system and the motion of that system. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the dynamics of a system.

2. How is the Euler equation derived?

The Euler equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By applying this law to a system of particles, we can derive the Euler equation in its strong form.

3. What are the applications of the Euler equation?

The Euler equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including fluid dynamics, structural mechanics, and celestial mechanics. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.

4. Are there any limitations to the Euler equation?

Yes, the Euler equation has some limitations. It assumes that the system is in a state of dynamic equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on the system are balanced. It also does not take into account factors such as friction and air resistance, which can affect the motion of a system.

5. How is the strong form of the Euler equation different from the weak form?

The strong form of the Euler equation is a differential equation that describes the motion of a system in terms of forces and accelerations. The weak form, on the other hand, is an integral equation that describes the motion of a system in terms of energy and work. The weak form is often used in variational methods for solving differential equations.