1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Lagrange Equation Question

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the function f(y,y',x) = 2yy' + 3x2y where y(x) = 3x4 - 2x +1. Compute ∂f/∂x and df/dx. Write both solutions of the variable x only.

2. Relevant equations

Euler Equation: ∂f/∂y - d/dx * ∂f/∂y' = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Would I first just find ∂f/∂y and ∂f/∂y' as follows:

∂f/∂y = 2y' + 3x2
    ∂f/∂y' = 2y

and then insert y(x) and y'(x) into my two equations for ∂f/∂y and ∂f/∂y':

y(x) = 3x4 - 2x +1
    y'(x) = 12x3 - 2

→ ∂f/∂y = 2(12x3 - 2) + 3x2
    → ∂f/∂y' = 2(3x4 - 2x +1)

This is where I begin to get lost. Would I plug these values into my Euler equation to find an expression for df/dx and ∂f/∂x?

I would attempt this but I want to see if I'm headed in the right direction or not first. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

You don't need to find those at all. You don't need to use the Euler-Lagrange equations either. Just calculate the things they ask for in the question. I think they are just testing your knowledge of how to do partial differentiation and the full derivative.

4. Apr 2, 2013 #3
    Thanks for you response. I feel as if I made this problem more complicated than it should.

For ∂f/∂x:

∂f/∂x = 6xy = 6x(3x4 - 2x +1)

and df/dx:

df/dx = ∂f/∂y * dy/dx
    = d/dy(3x2y + 2yy') * (12x3 - 2)
    = (3x2 + 2(d/dy(yy'))) * (12x3 - 2)
    = (3x2 + 2(y * d/dy(y') + y')) * (12x3 - 2)

However I'm a bit confused on how to take the derivative of d/dy(y')
    Would I just treat y' as a fraction and cancel out dy's like so: y * d/dy(dy/dx) = d/dx * y = y'

5. Apr 2, 2013 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

I think your answer for ∂f/∂x is correct. But I don't agree with your answer for df/dx. The line: df/dx = ∂f/∂y * dy/dx I think is not right. This is not the correct expression for the full derivative. p.s. you can realise this by thinking what is being held constant for ∂f/∂y

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted