Proving Snell's law using Euler-Lagrange equations

In summary: The light travels in two mediums, one is n_1 and the other is n_2. The speed of the light in these mediums are v_1=\frac{c}{n_1} and v_2=\frac{c}{n_2} and the angles of incident and refraction are \theta_1 and \theta_2 respectively.The Attempt at a SolutionI'll look at medium n_1: I'll look at an infinitesimal piece of the arclength of the light:and using the distance formula##{v_1*dt}={\sqrt {( x-(x+dx) )^
CGandC

Homework Statement

Prove that snell's law ## {n_1}*{sin(\theta_1)} ={n_2}*{sin(\theta_2)} ## is derived from using euler-lagrange equations for the time functionals that describe the light's propagation, As described in the picture below.

Given data:
the light travels in two mediums , one is ## n_1 ## and the other is ## n_2 ##
The speed of the light in these mediums are:
## v_1=\frac{c}{n_1} ## and ## v_2=\frac{c}{n_2} ## respectively
and the angles of incident and refraction are: ## \theta_1 ## and ## \theta_2 ## respectivley
upload_2018-2-20_14-0-2.png

Homework Equations

## \frac{d}{dt} \left ( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q} \right ) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=0 ##
## distance = speed*time## ,## t_0 = 0 ## and the velocity is constant
## Arclength = ds = \sqrt{dx^2+dy^2} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll look at medium ## n_1 ## : I'll look at an infinitesimal piece of the arclength of the light:
upload_2018-2-20_14-5-4.png

and using the distance formula
##{v_1*dt}={\sqrt {( x-(x+dx) )^2+( y-(y+dy) )^2} }={\sqrt{( dx) )^2+( dy) )^2}}={\sqrt {1+\frac{dy}{dx}^2} }*dx ##
so: ## t =
\int \frac{ds}{v_1}=\int \frac{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}}{v_1}=\int \frac{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}{v_1}dx
##

Using euler lagrange equations, I find that ## y ## is a cyclical coordinate, therefore:
## \frac{d}{dx} \left ( \frac{y'}{v_1*\sqrt {1+(y')^2}} \right )=0 ##
so: ## \frac{y'}{v_1*\sqrt {1+(y')^2}} =const ## and re-arranging:
## \frac{dy}{v_1*\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}} = const ##
knowing that ( from the pictures) : ## \frac{dy}{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}}=\frac{dy}{ds} =cos(\theta_1) ## and that
## v_1=\frac{c}{n_1} ## then I can re-write ## \frac{dy}{v_1*\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}} = const ## as:
## {n_1}*{cos(\theta_1)}/c = const ##
Using similar methodology with the second medium, I get: ## {n_2}*{cos(\theta_2)}/c = const ##
I notice that there is a conserved quantity from the euler-lagrange equations, therefore:
## {n_1}*{cos(\theta_1)} ={n_2}*{cos(\theta_2)} ##

So here's the problematic point , I got : ## {n_1}*{cos(\theta_1)} ={n_2}*{cos(\theta_2)} ## instead of : ## {n_1}*{sin(\theta_1)} ={n_2}*{sin(\theta_2)} ##
What seems to be the problem? is it my understanding of what I'm doing with the euler-lagrange equation?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-20_13-57-8.png
    upload_2018-2-20_13-57-8.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 541
  • upload_2018-2-20_13-58-11.png
    upload_2018-2-20_13-58-11.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 613
  • upload_2018-2-20_14-0-2.png
    upload_2018-2-20_14-0-2.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,821
  • upload_2018-2-20_14-4-52.png
    upload_2018-2-20_14-4-52.png
    474 bytes · Views: 605
  • upload_2018-2-20_14-5-4.png
    upload_2018-2-20_14-5-4.png
    474 bytes · Views: 1,907
Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
Using euler lagrange equations, I find that y is a cyclical coordinate
This is not correct as ##v## depends on ##y##.

Edit: Because of this reason, it is easier if you turn your setup 90 degrees and make the interface between the media a line of constant ##x## instead of constant ##y##. Then your integrand will not depend on ##y## as the refractive index will depend on ##x## only.

Alternatively, you can use that the integrand you wrote down does not depend explicitly on ##x## and use the Beltrami identity, but this is a longer computation.

Likes BvU and CGandC
Orodruin said:
This is not correct as ##v## depends on ##y##.

Edit: Because of this reason, it is easier if you turn your setup 90 degrees and make the interface between the media a line of constant ##x## instead of constant ##y##. Then your integrand will not depend on ##y## as the refractive index will depend on ##x## only.

Alternatively, you can use that the integrand you wrote down does not depend explicitly on ##x## and use the Beltrami identity, but this is a longer computation.

Using Beltrami identity:
44cd7e382b9d7a54d3b66f1aa489a73125d8b1e7
I get the correct answer.
However, can you please elaborate on why ## v ## depends on ## y ##? because I know from the given data that ## v_1 = const = c/n_1 ##

CGandC said:
Using Beltrami identity:
44cd7e382b9d7a54d3b66f1aa489a73125d8b1e7
I get the correct answer.
However, can you please elaborate on why ## v ## depends on ## y ##? because I know from the given data that ## v_1 = const = c/n_1 ##
You cannot just consider one of the regions. Your ##v## is the speed of light as a function of position and since you have two different media, it depends on position. In this orientation, the media are oriented in such a way that ##v## depends only on ##y##. You are also particularly interested in the crossing of the boundaries of the media, i.e., when you move from one medium to the other. It should be pretty clear that the refractive index changes as a function of ##y## at this point.

To be more specific, if you consider just one medium, what you get out is indeed ##n \cos(\theta) = C##, where ##C## is some constant. This tells you that the direction within the medium is constant, but it tells you nothing about the relation between the angles in the different media. In particular, if you want to consider the transition, you need to consider a section where ##n## depends explicitly on ##y##.

I think I understand, you are saying that ## v ## is basically a heaviside function ( which depends on y ) as follows:
##
v = \begin{cases}
v_1 & 0 \leq y, \\
v_2 & y < 0. \end{cases} ##

And for this reason, I have to use Beltrami Identity, as ## v ## depends on ## y ##.

Yes.

Likes CGandC
Orodruin said:
Yes.

Looking into the case further, my functional for the problem is :##
t = \begin{cases}
\int \frac{ds}{v_1} & 0 \leq y, \\
\int \frac{ds}{v_2} & y < 0. \end{cases} ##

So looking at the functional, we see that it depends on ## y' ## and ## y ## ( depends on y because the value of the function in the integral is different for different y's)
and for this reason, I conclude that I must use Beltrami's identity when solving for each interval of ## y ## . and I'll get eventually:
## {n_2}*{sin(\theta_2)} = const ## and ## {n_1}*{sin(\theta_1)} = const ##
Do you agree?

However, I have another question which bugged me - these constants are called ' conserved quantities ' , I don't understand why are they equal? ( I.e : ## {n_1}*{sin(\theta_1)}= {n_2}*{sin(\theta_2)} ## ) , after all, I used euler-lagrange/Beltrami identity for different ## y ## intervals ,then the constant that arises must be different for each equation also.

CGandC said:
Looking into the case further, my functional for the problem is :##
t = \begin{cases}
\int \frac{ds}{v_1} & 0 \leq y, \\
\int \frac{ds}{v_2} & y < 0. \end{cases} ##

So looking at the functional, we see that it depends on ## y' ## and ## y ## ( depends on y because the value of the function in the integral is different for different y's)
and for this reason, I conclude that I must use Beltrami's identity when solving for each interval of ## y ## . and I'll get eventually:
## {n_2}*{sin(\theta_2)} = const ## and ## {n_1}*{sin(\theta_1)} = const ##
Do you agree?

Essentially, but I would not write what you wrote for ##t##. It is more instructive and less prone to errors to write it as
$$
ct = \int n\, ds,
$$
where ##n = n(y(x)) = n_1 + (n_2-n_1)\theta(-y(x))##, where ##\theta## is the Heaviside function. You do not have a separate EL equation for each medium, your integrand is ##n(y(x)) \sqrt{1 + y'(x)^2}## and this gives you a constant of motion which is ##n(y) \sin(\theta)##.

However, I have another question which bugged me - these constants are called ' conserved quantities ' , I don't understand why are they equal? ( I.e : ## {n_1}*{sin(\theta_1)}= {n_2}*{sin(\theta_2)} ## ) , after all, I used euler-lagrange/Beltrami identity for different ## y ## intervals ,then the constant that arises must be different for each equation also.
You do not have two separate differential equations. You have one differential equation where one of the functions that it depends on depends on the value of ##y##.

Orodruin said:
Essentially, but I would not write what you wrote for ##t##. It is more instructive and less prone to errors to
$$
ct = \int n\, ds,
$$

Thinking about it, I don't think the 'ds' is the same for the two mediums , i'll give you an analogy:

Suppose there is a wire and I look at an infinitesimal part of it, it will have different tensions on each end - making different angles with respect to the horizontal line:
upload_2018-2-21_10-37-49.png

Therefore:
## cos(\theta_1)=\frac{dx}{ds_1\vert_{x}^{} } = \frac{dx}{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2\vert_{x}^{}} } = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2 \vert_{x}^{}} } ##
## cos(\theta_2)=\frac{dx}{ds_2\vert_{x+dx}^{} } = \frac{dx}{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2\vert_{x+dx}^{}} } = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2 \vert_{x+dx}^{}} } ##

So it appears that there are different arc lengths,therefore,I think the integral cannot be written as: ## ct = \int n\, ds, ##
since ## ds_1 \neq ds_2 ##

Note: the problem above with the wire is not related to the snell's law problem , it was just given as an analogy to a difficulty

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-21_10-37-49.png
    upload_2018-2-21_10-37-49.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,822
CGandC said:
Thinking about it, I don't think the 'ds' is the same for the two mediums , i'll give you an analogy:

Suppose there is a wire and I look at an infinitesimal part of it, it will have different tensions on each end - making different angles with respect to the horizontal line:
View attachment 220769

Therefore:
## cos(\theta_1)=\frac{dx}{ds_1\vert_{x}^{} } = \frac{dx}{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2\vert_{x}^{}} } = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2 \vert_{x}^{}} } ##
## cos(\theta_2)=\frac{dx}{ds_2\vert_{x+dx}^{} } = \frac{dx}{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2\vert_{x+dx}^{}} } = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2 \vert_{x+dx}^{}} } ##

So it appears that there are different arc lengths,therefore,I think the integral cannot be written as: ## ct = \int n\, ds, ##
since ## ds_1 \neq ds_2 ##

Note: the problem above with the wire is not related to the snell's law problem , it was just given as an analogy to a difficulty
No, this is wrong.

Obviously the value of ##\sqrt{1+y'(x)^2}## will change along a curve unless ##y(x)## is a straight line, but the functional expression for ##ds## will not, i.e., ##ds = \sqrt{1+y'(x)^2}\, dx##.

but If for example, in medium 1 : ## y'(x) = -x ## and in medium 2 : ## y'(x) = -2x ##
then
## ds_1 = \sqrt{1+(-x)^2}\, dx \neq ds_2 = \sqrt{1+(-2x)^2}\, dx ##
so this means there is a separate functional expression for each medium.

CGandC said:
but If for example, in medium 1 : ## y'(x) = -x ## and in medium 2 : ## y'(x) = -2x ##
then
No, this is a bad idea. You are searching for the function ##y(x)## so you cannot just assume that it takes some form. Then, based on what you find, you can compute the angle. You are looking at the functional form in terms of a function of ##x##, ##y(x)##, and ##y'(x)##, which should be treated as independent parameters of the integrand.

CGandC said:
then

Not really; the arc-length expression is ##ds = \sqrt{1 + y'^2(x)} \: dx## in both regions, but the function ##y'## has a piecewise definition:
$$y'(x) = \begin{cases} -x, & x \in \text{Region 1} \\
-2x, & x \in \text{Region 2}
\end{cases}
$$

Last edited:
Likes Orodruin
So compiling what I've learned from the above:
## dt = \int{ \frac{ds}{v_1} } + \int{ \frac{ds}{v_2} } = \int{ \frac{\sqrt{1+y'^2}dx}{v_1} } +\int{ \frac{\sqrt{1+y'^2}dx}{v_2} }= \int{ \frac{ds}{v} } =\int{ \frac{\sqrt{1+y'^2}dx}{v} } ##
where: ##
y'(x) = \begin{cases} A(x), & y < 0 \\
B(x), & y > 0
\end{cases}
##
and: ##
v = \begin{cases} v_1, & y < 0 \\
v_2, & y > 0
\end{cases}
##
and eventually solving ## \int{ \frac{\sqrt{1+y'^2}dx}{v} } ## using Beltrami identity, I get the right answer.

I have another question arising from the above - If have a functional ,then It must be dependant on one integral and not more in order for me to use Euler-lagrange/Beltrami equations for it, otherwise, why you worked so hard to join each separate integral into one integral?
for example :
instead of having ## h[f(x),g(x)] = \int{f(x)dx} + \int{g(x)dx} ## , I need to find some way to join the integrals together to form something like:
## h[f(x),g(x)] = \int{(f(x)+g(x))dx} ##
And I do this in order for me to be able to use Euler-lagrange/Beltrami equations for the functional. Is my assumption correct?
Asking the question in another way : I can use Euler-Lagrange/Beltrami equations only for a functional which depends on only one integral?

CGandC said:
where: ##
y'(x) = \begin{cases} A(x), & y < 0 \\
B(x), & y > 0
\end{cases}
##
You really should not do this to yourself because it is blocking your understanding. The entire point is that ##y(x)## is an unknown function. It may have any form, but the question you are asking is ”what form will be a stationary function of the functional?”. As such, you should a priori not assume anything about ##y(x)## or its derivative. The functional you write down is a map from a set of functions to real numbers that describes the time it would take to travel along the path it describes with some predetermined velocity ##v(x,y)##.

Regarding your second question you seem to be asking what happens when your functional depends on two functions rather than when you have two integrals. Much like in regular calculus where a multivariable function must have all partial derivatives equal to zero, you get one EL equation per function that your functional depends on. This should be discussed in any basic textbook that covers variational calculus. I would suggest one, but I am biased. :rolleyes:

1. What is Snell's law and why is it important?

Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction, describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction for a light ray passing through the boundary between two different media. It is important because it helps us understand how light behaves when it travels through different materials, such as air, water, or glass.

2. How is Snell's law typically proven?

The most common way to prove Snell's law is through the use of geometry and trigonometry, using the principles of similar triangles and the law of sines. However, it can also be proven using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of mathematical equations used in the field of physics to describe the motion of particles.

3. What are the Euler-Lagrange equations?

The Euler-Lagrange equations are a set of equations used to determine the path that a particle or system will take through space, based on the principle of least action. In simpler terms, they describe the path of least resistance or energy expenditure for a particle or system.

4. How can the Euler-Lagrange equations be used to prove Snell's law?

The Euler-Lagrange equations can be applied to the problem of refraction by considering the path of a light ray as it travels through two different media. By setting up the appropriate equations and minimizing the total energy of the system, the Euler-Lagrange equations can be used to derive Snell's law and show that it is the path of least resistance for the light ray.

5. What are the benefits of using the Euler-Lagrange equations to prove Snell's law?

Using the Euler-Lagrange equations to prove Snell's law allows for a more rigorous and mathematical approach to understanding the behavior of light when it travels through different media. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and physical laws that govern this phenomenon. Additionally, it can be applied to more complex systems and scenarios, making it a powerful tool for scientists and engineers in various fields.