1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's equations for constant torque?

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An axially symmetric space station (principal axis e3, and λ1 = λ2) is floating in free space. It has rockets mounted symmetrically on either side that are firing and exert a constant torque τ about the symmetry axis. Solve Euler's equations exactly for ω (relative to the body axis) and describe the motion. At t = 0 take ω = (ω1,0,ω3).

As well I am told to introduce the constants

α = (λ31)τ/(λ1λ3)

2. Relevant equations

SDkSib1.jpg
    n=ω1+iω2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried several different things trying to solve the problem but unfortunately I could never quite figure out which parts of Euler's equation are zero. I think that the third τ in Eulers equation is zero which would make ω3 constant but then I'm not really sure where to go.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x3 is the symmetry axis. The problems states that the torque τ is about this axis. That means that [itex]\Gamma[/itex]3 = τ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook