1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and Rotational Acceleration

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.23-kg turntable of radius 0.31 m spins about a vertical axis through its center. A constant rotational acceleration causes the turntable to accelerate from 0 to 26 revolutions per second in8.0 s.

Calculate the torque required to cause this acceleration.
    2. Relevant equations
    τ = α*m*r^2
    where τ is torque, α is rotational acceleration, m is mass, and r is the radius.

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the first portion of the question right which was to find α (20 s^-2), then I plugged the rest of the numbers into the equation and got τ = 20*0.23*0.31*0.31 = 0.44 but this was wrong. Where am I going wrong ? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation you are using is only applicable to a point mass ##m##, situated at distance ##r## from the axis of rotation. This problem is about a disc, not a point mass.
    You need to calculate the moment of inertia of the disc that is the turntable.
    If you don't have a formula, you could look up 'list of moments of inertia' on Wikipedia.

4. Aug 3, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Andrew has identified the major error, but there is also a minor one. When using an intermediate numerical result as input to the next stage (the angular acceleration in this case) you should keep an extra significant digit to avoid accumulation of rounding errors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted