Angular acceleration of a yo-yo pulled with constant force

In summary, the question asks for the angular acceleration of a yo-yo with constant tension T, spool radius r, and yo-yo outer radius R. The yo-yo is assumed to roll without slipping and has a mass m and moment of inertia I. Using the equations α = τnet / I and τ = Fsinθr, the attempt at a solution involves determining the direction of rotation for the spool and yo-yo and taking moments about a point through which the unknown forces pass. The point that should be chosen for this calculation is still unknown.
ShilpaM

Homework Statement

A yo-yo is pulled with a constant tension T. The string is horizontal and parallel to the table and unwinding from the bottom of the spool, as shown. The yo-yo's outer radius is R and the spool radius is r. The mass of the yo-yo is m and the moment of inertia of the yo-yo around the axis through its centre of mass is I. What is the angular acceleration of the yo-yo, assuming it rolls without slipping?

91585ed684.png

2. Homework Equations

α = τnet / I
τ = Fsinθr

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the spool rotates in the same direction as T, but the rest of the yo-yo has to rotate in the opposite direction in order to roll without slipping. T applies a negative torque, since it causes rotation in the CW direction, so τT = -Tr
This is where I'm stuck. Is the inertia of the yo-yo just I or is it I + mR2? And I'm not sure if it's only tension applying a torque to the yo-yo, or if the floor is exerting a backward force on the yo-yo to make it roll, and if so, is the force proportionate to the normal force. Can anyone please help me figure this one out?

Physics news on Phys.org
ShilpaM said:
I think the spool rotates in the same direction as T, but the rest of the yo-yo has to rotate in the opposite direction
The yo-yo and spool should be taken as one rigid object. They cannot rotate in opposite directions.
The easiest way is to take moments about a point through which the unknown forces pass. What point would that be?

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is usually represented by the symbol α and is measured in radians per second squared.

How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation α = a/R, where α is angular acceleration, a is linear acceleration, and R is the radius of the object's circular motion. This means that for a given linear acceleration, the angular acceleration will be larger for objects with smaller radii.

What factors affect the angular acceleration of a yo-yo?

The angular acceleration of a yo-yo is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the yo-yo, the mass of the yo-yo, and the radius of the yo-yo's circular motion. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also affect the angular acceleration.

How does a constant force affect the angular acceleration of a yo-yo?

A constant force applied to a yo-yo will result in a constant angular acceleration. This means that the yo-yo will continue to increase its angular velocity at a steady rate until it reaches a maximum velocity or until the force is removed.

Can the direction of the force affect the angular acceleration of a yo-yo?

Yes, the direction of the force can affect the angular acceleration of a yo-yo. The direction of the force must be tangential to the circular motion of the yo-yo in order to produce angular acceleration. If the force is not applied along the tangent, it will result in a combination of both linear and angular acceleration.