1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a yo-yo pulled with constant force

1. Dec 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A yo-yo is pulled with a constant tension T. The string is horizontal and parallel to the table and unwinding from the bottom of the spool, as shown. The yo-yo's outer radius is R and the spool radius is r. The mass of the yo-yo is m and the moment of inertia of the yo-yo around the axis through its centre of mass is I. What is the angular acceleration of the yo-yo, assuming it rolls without slipping?

91585ed684.png

2. Relevant equations

α = τnet / I
    τ = Fsinθr

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the spool rotates in the same direction as T, but the rest of the yo-yo has to rotate in the opposite direction in order to roll without slipping. T applies a negative torque, since it causes rotation in the CW direction, so τT = -Tr
    This is where I'm stuck. Is the inertia of the yo-yo just I or is it I + mR2? And I'm not sure if it's only tension applying a torque to the yo-yo, or if the floor is exerting a backward force on the yo-yo to make it roll, and if so, is the force proportionate to the normal force. Can anyone please help me figure this one out?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The yo-yo and spool should be taken as one rigid object. They cannot rotate in opposite directions.
    The easiest way is to take moments about a point through which the unknown forces pass. What point would that be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted