Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's Method With Mass Balance o.d.e's

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    Hi

I'm doing a practice paper for a past mathematical modelling exam. I've attached the problem

What I'm having trouble with is simplifying the equations and variables into a differential equation that is solvable with Euler's Method.

What I have currently is the sqrt(h1-h2) in the equation which leads to an imaginary number so I don't think I have done it correctly. ( As h1<h2..I think the diagram is also misleading)

If someone could help me out with getting the right equation I should(hopefully) be able to do the next part.

Thanks

I'm posting this is another forum as well, need help asap.

P.S the second question doesnt need to be attached, it is:
    Use Euler's method to make a single step to predict the levels in both tanks after 5 seconds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    Euler's Method With Mass Balance o.d.es

I'm doing a practice paper for a past mathematical modelling exam. I've attached the problem

What I'm having trouble with is simplifying the equations and variables into a differential equation that is solvable with Euler's Method.

What I have currently is the sqrt(h1-h2) in the equation which leads to an imaginary number so I don't think I have done it correctly. ( As h1<h2..I think the diagram is also misleading)

If someone could help me out with getting the right equation I should(hopefully) be able to do the next part.

Thanks

I also posted this is the differential equation forum but with only 6 people viewing...

Attached Files:

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    Re: Euler's Method With Mass Balance o.d.es

This is what I have but its the square root of a negative number that is confusing me

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook