Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Europiums electron configuration

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    I calculated Europium to have a electron configuration of 2 8 18 32 3
    and then calculated the chemical formula of Europium Chloride which was EuCl3 which is correct
    but why is the real electron configuration of Europium 2 8 18 25 8 2 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How?

4. Jan 19, 2015 #3
    Using the method that for each orbital n a maximum of 2n^2 electrons can be held.

5. Jan 19, 2015 #4
    Or is it a rule that the second last orbital should always have 8 electrons?

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5

Borek

That's not how it works, google for Aufbau principle.

7. Jan 19, 2015 #6
    Ok, So can you tell mee how one can actually calculate the precise electron configuration of Europium?

8. Jan 19, 2015 #7

Borek

Have you checked Aufbau principle, or have you just ignored what I wrote in hope I will spoonfeed you?

9. Jan 19, 2015 #8
    Yes actually I checked the Aufbau principle, so does this mean that the first orbital will have 2 electrons, the second being p having 6, the third d having 10? and an f orbital having 14 max electrons?

10. Jan 19, 2015 #9

Borek

Are you sure you don't mistake shell and orbital? Shell can contain several orbitals (K, or first shell, contains only 1s, L, or second, contains both 2s and 2p, d doesn't appear before 3rd, M shell, and so on).

11. Jan 19, 2015 #10
    hmmmm, ok let me do some more thinking

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook