1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate dy/dt for each of the following

1. Jun 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume x and y are functions of t. Evaluate dy/dt for each of the following.

xy-5x+2y^3=-70, dx/dt=-5 x=2 y=-3

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used x' and y' for dx/dt and dy/dt

I found the derivative of the equation, using the product rule for xy

(x)(yy')+(y)(xx')-5+6y^2=0

From here, my problem was figuring out how to simplify the equation...
    (x)(yy')=5-6y^2-yxx'
    y'=

The answer was -5/7...I'm pretty sure I messed up on solving the equation for 0 and y'

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

This is not differentiated correctly with respect to the third variable. When dealing with the product rule for the xy term, think of x and y as if both were functions of t. This would have to be

d/dt (xy) = (dx/dt)·y + x·(dy/dt),

or x'y + xy' , as you have been writing it. By the same token, the next term would have the derivative -5x' .

Keep in mind that you are not differentiating with respect to x, as you were in your other implicit differentiation problems, but with respect to a variable whichi is not directly (we say "explicitly") represented in the original equation.

4. Jun 29, 2008 #3
    So I messed up my product rule of xy then?

5. Jun 29, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yeah I believe so. What is the derivative of xy with respect to t?

6. Jun 29, 2008 #5
    wouldn't it be: x(dy/dt)+y(dx/dt) for the derivative of xy

7. Jun 29, 2008 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

That's correct (and is mentioned in post #2). You need to differentiate the remaining terms on the left-hand side of the original equation in the same fashion. So d/dt (5x) and d/dt (2y^3) are not simply 5 and 6y^2, but...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?