Evaluate dy/dt for each of the following

• Thread starter staples82
  • Start date
In summary, the correct application of the product rule for xy in the given equation is x(dy/dt)+y(dx/dt). The remaining terms on the left-hand side, 5x and 2y^3, must be differentiated with respect to t in the same manner as demonstrated for xy.
staples82

Homework Statement

Assume x and y are functions of t. Evaluate dy/dt for each of the following.

xy-5x+2y^3=-70, dx/dt=-5 x=2 y=-3

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I used x' and y' for dx/dt and dy/dt

I found the derivative of the equation, using the product rule for xy

(x)(yy')+(y)(xx')-5+6y^2=0

From here, my problem was figuring out how to simplify the equation...
(x)(yy')=5-6y^2-yxx'
y'=

The answer was -5/7...I'm pretty sure I messed up on solving the equation for 0 and y'

Physics news on Phys.org
staples82 said:

Homework Statement

Assume x and y are functions of t. Evaluate dy/dt for each of the following.

xy-5x+2y^3=-70, dx/dt=-5 x=2 y=-3

I found the derivative of the equation, using the product rule for xy

(x)(yy')+(y)(xx')-5+6y^2=0

This is not differentiated correctly with respect to the third variable. When dealing with the product rule for the xy term, think of x and y as if both were functions of t. This would have to be

d/dt (xy) = (dx/dt)·y + x·(dy/dt),

or x'y + xy' , as you have been writing it. By the same token, the next term would have the derivative -5x' .

Keep in mind that you are not differentiating with respect to x, as you were in your other implicit differentiation problems, but with respect to a variable whichi is not directly (we say "explicitly") represented in the original equation.

So I messed up my product rule of xy then?

Yeah I believe so. What is the derivative of xy with respect to t?

wouldn't it be: x(dy/dt)+y(dx/dt) for the derivative of xy

staples82 said:
wouldn't it be: x(dy/dt)+y(dx/dt) for the derivative of xy

That's correct (and is mentioned in post #2). You need to differentiate the remaining terms on the left-hand side of the original equation in the same fashion. So d/dt (5x) and d/dt (2y^3) are not simply 5 and 6y^2, but...?

1. What is dy/dt?

Dy/dt is a mathematical expression that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a dependent variable y with respect to an independent variable t. In other words, it measures how quickly the value of y changes as t changes.

2. How is dy/dt calculated?

To calculate dy/dt, we use the derivative, which is a mathematical tool that helps us find the rate of change of a function. In the case of dy/dt, we take the derivative of the function y with respect to t.

3. What does dy/dt tell us about a function?

Dy/dt gives us information about the slope of a function at a specific point. It can tell us whether the function is increasing or decreasing at that point, and how quickly it is changing.

4. Why is dy/dt important in science?

In science, many phenomena can be described using functions and equations. By calculating dy/dt, we can better understand how these phenomena change over time and make predictions about their behavior. It is especially useful in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

5. Can dy/dt have a negative value?

Yes, dy/dt can have a negative value. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, meaning that the dependent variable is decreasing as the independent variable increases. It is important to consider the sign of dy/dt when interpreting its meaning in a scientific context.