Evaluate Limit: [tex]\lim_{T\rightarrow 0^+} \ln(2e^{-\epsilon/kT}+1)[/itex]

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
32
I'm having a blank here. How do I evaluate

[tex]\lim_{T\rightarrow 0^+} \ln(2e^{-\epsilon/kT}+1) \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (\epsilon>0, \ \ k>0)[/itex]<br /> <br /> ?!?[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, e^-(1/x) tends to 0 with x to 0, so our whole expression tends to log(0+1)=0. (Of course, we need k and epsilon positive, and we really should take a right-handed limit, since for negative T the expression blows up with T to 0.)
 
Last edited:
What justifies your moving the limit inside the log?

(I refined the expresion following your comments, thx)
 
Last edited:
Oh I have it. It's that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0} (f\circ g)(x)[/tex]

will equal

[tex]f(\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0} g(x))[/tex]

if the limit of g exists and it f is continuous as [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0} g(x)[/itex].