Evaluate the Limit (just confirmation)

• Thread starter NATURE.M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a limit problem involving a cubic square root function. The solution involves substituting p for the function and using L'Hopital's rule to simplify the equation and reach the final answer of 1/12. It is confirmed that this solution is correct and it is suggested to revisit the problem using L'Hopital's rule in the future.
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

lim (cubicsquareroot(x) - 2)/(x-8)
x→8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained 1/12 as my final answer, after changing the variable since its in indeterminate form.
..let p=cubicsquareroot(x), then as x→8, p→2
then, p^3=x

Using this logic I obtained 1/12.

Is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
NATURE.M said:

Homework Statement

lim (cubicsquareroot(x) - 2)/(x-8)
x→8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained 1/12 as my final answer, after changing the variable since its in indeterminate form.
..let p=cubicsquareroot(x), then as x→8, p→2
then, p^3=x

Using this logic I obtained 1/12.

Is this correct ?

Precisely, Although It'd be nicer if you had done some substitutions.. Yeah is correct!

PrashntS said:
Precisely, Although It'd be nicer if you had done some substitutions.. Yeah is correct!

My bad! you have! And when you reach L'Hopital's rule, revisit these questions..

What's a "cubicsquareroot" ?

SammyS said:
What's a "cubicsquareroot" ?

Assumed he meant x^(1/3) *kids today*

lol Yeah I mean't x^(1/3). And thanks.

PrashntS said:
My bad! you have! And when you reach L'Hopital's rule, revisit these questions..
L' Hopital's Rule is not needed in this problem.

The OP apparently revised the original problem to this form:
$$ \lim_{p \to 2} \frac{p - 2}{p^3 - 8}$$

and then factored the denominator to (p - 2)(p2 + 2p + 4), and then took the limit.

1. What does it mean to "evaluate a limit"?

Evaluating a limit means finding the value that a function approaches as the independent variable approaches a specific value or as it gets infinitely close to that value. It helps to determine the behavior of a function at a particular point.

2. How do you evaluate a limit algebraically?

To evaluate a limit algebraically, you can try to simplify the function by factoring, canceling out common terms, or using algebraic manipulations. You can also use the properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, to evaluate the limit.

3. Can you evaluate a limit if the function is undefined at that point?

Yes, it is possible to evaluate a limit even if the function is undefined at that point. However, the limit may not exist in this case. It is important to consider the one-sided limits from both the left and right sides to determine the existence and value of the limit.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is the value that a function approaches as the independent variable approaches a specific value from only one direction (either left or right). On the other hand, a two-sided limit is the value that a function approaches as the independent variable approaches a specific value from both the left and right sides. In other words, a two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function from both directions, while a one-sided limit only considers one direction.

5. Why is it important to evaluate limits?

Evaluating limits is important because it helps to understand the behavior of a function at a particular point. It can also help to determine if a function is continuous at a specific point and can be used to solve various problems in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is necessary for understanding more advanced topics such as derivatives and integrals.