Evaluate the Mobius transformation

In summary: Once the numerator and denominator are complex conjugates, then you know they have the same magnitude, so you're done.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
evaluate the quotient of two complex numbers
Relevant Equations
evaluate the quotient of two complex numbers
Let ##|z|=1## and ##1-\bar{a}z\neq 0##.

Evaluate ##\frac{|z-a|}{|1-\bar{a}z|}##. It should be a real number.

I read that ##f=\frac{|z-a|}{|1-\bar{a}z|}## is a mobious transformation, but I do not know what it means. @fresh_42##z=e^{i\theta_1}, a=r_2e^{i\theta_2}##

##\frac{|z-a|}{|1-\bar{a}z|}=\frac{|e^{i\theta_1}-r_2e^{i\theta_2}|}{|1-r_2e^{i(\theta_1-\theta_2)}|}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a short explanation with an interesting property (problem #8):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/math-challenge-august-2021.1005685/
(behind the 'solved by' note is a link to the solution @julian gave)
and here is a longer one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Möbius_transformation

I would square the function:
$$
f^2=\dfrac{(z-a)(\bar{z}-\bar{a})}{(1-\bar{a}z)(1-a\bar{z})}
$$
and work with Cartesian coordinates: ##z=x+i y\, , \,\bar{z}=x- i y\, , \,a=u+ i v\, , \,\bar{a}=u-iv## and see if the expression simplifies. The polar coordinates might work as well, but I think it remains a mess. Of course, you could also use the sine and cosine functions, but I would definitely start with the Cartesian coordinates.

Likes docnet
fresh_42 said:
Here is a short explanation with an interesting property (problem #8):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/math-challenge-august-2021.1005685/
(behind the 'solved by' note is a link to the solution @julian gave)
and here is a longer one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Möbius_transformation

I would square the function:
$$
f^2=\dfrac{(z-a)(\bar{z}-\bar{a})}{(1-\bar{a}z)(1-a\bar{z})}
$$
and work with Cartesian coordinates: ##z=x+i y\, , \,\bar{z}=x- i y\, , \,a=u+ i v\, , \,\bar{a}=u-iv## and see if the expression simplifies. The polar coordinates might work as well, but I think it remains a mess. Of course, you could also use the sine and cosine functions, but I would definitely start with the Cartesian coordinates.
I would have never guessed to try complex squaring the function... I tried multiplying the denominator and the numerator by ##1-a\bar{z}## and was unable to simplify.

By doing the squaring, and plugging in ##z\bar{z}=1##, the function simplifies so that the denominator equals the numerator and it's just 1. (I didn't use cartesian coordinates and still got this result, and I really hope i didn't mess up the calculation because it really would be embarrassing)

##f^2=(\frac{|z-a|}{|1-\bar{a}z|} )^2=\frac{z\bar{z}-a\bar{z}-\bar{a}z+a\bar{a}}{1-\bar{a}z-a\bar{z}+a\bar{a}z\bar{z}}##

##\frac{1-a\bar{z}-\bar{a}z+a\bar{a}}{1-\bar{a}z-a\bar{z}+a\bar{a}}=1##

##\therefore \frac{|z-a|}{|1-\bar{a}z|} =1##

This question was on a midterm I took yesterday (so I'm not cheating!)

Likes fresh_42
You can also multiply the numerator by ##|\bar{z}|## (which is 1) and then the numerator and denominator are complex conjugates of each other.

• Informative
Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
You can also multiply the numerator by ##|\bar{z}|## (which is 1) and then the numerator and denominator are complex conjugates of each other.
and that is a clue that the quotient should be complex squared, right?

docnet said:
Squaring was only meant to get rid of the root in the definition of the norm. After you saw the simplifications you made, you could write a root above every term of your calculation, so squaring wasn't actually necessary. However, it removed the "distraction" by the root behind ##|\, \text{.} \,|## and allowed us to concentrate on the essential parts.

I have two major principles approaching an algebraic expression: Get rid of what disturbs, and use the definitions.

• Informative
Likes docnet
docnet said:

Once the numerator and denominator are complex conjugates, then you know they have the same magnitude, so you're done.

Likes docnet

1. What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation is a mathematical function that maps points from one complex plane to another complex plane. It is also known as a linear fractional transformation or a conformal mapping.

2. How is a Mobius transformation represented?

A Mobius transformation is typically represented as f(z) = (az + b)/(cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is the input variable.

3. What is the significance of the constants a, b, c, and d in a Mobius transformation?

The constants a, b, c, and d determine the behavior of the Mobius transformation. They can be used to scale, rotate, translate, or reflect the input points.

4. How can I evaluate a Mobius transformation?

To evaluate a Mobius transformation, you can plug in a value for z in the function f(z) = (az + b)/(cz + d). The resulting output will be a new complex number.

5. What are some real-world applications of Mobius transformations?

Mobius transformations have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in computer graphics to create 3D models, in fluid dynamics to study flow patterns, and in circuit design to analyze electronic circuits.