Evaluate the value of trigonometry

In summary, the student was unsuccessful in solving a problem involving the trigonometric functions using the property that sin(x)=cos(\pi/2-x). After consulting a Wikipedia article on trigonometric identities, they found that instead of using the property, they could solve the problem using the inverse of the property, which yielded a nice pattern.
harimakenji

Homework Statement

evaluate
sin (π / 62) . sin (15π/62). sin(23π/62). sin(27π/62) . sin(29π/62)

Homework Equations

trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to change it to cos but failed, tried to use 2 sin A sin B identity and failed again

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use the property that [tex]sin(x)=cos(\pi/2-x)[/tex] you can get a nice pattern going. See if that helps.

sin (π / 62) . sin (15π/62). sin(23π/62). sin(27π/62) . sin(29π/62) = cos (30π / 62). cos(16π/62). cos (8π/62). cos(4π/62). cos(2π/62)

I see no pattern. Is there a nice pattern?

You don't notice a pattern happening? 2,4,8,16,... now you have 30 instead of 32, but you can change it to 32 with another identity.

I noticed that but lost because of 30 but now I get it from your clue.

cos (30π / 62) = - cos (32π / 62), then it becomes: - (cos x) . (cos 2x). cos(4x). cos (8x). cos (16x). How to continue that?

harimakenji, I've done stuff like this in an advanced class in high school (in Australia it is called extension 2 mathematics) but usually they first make us prove the given identity as vela has posted and then finally using the formula to evaluate the question that you've been given. Are you sure this question wasn't a continuation from a bigger problem?

harimakenji said:

Homework Statement

evaluate
sin (π / 62) . sin (15π/62). sin(23π/62). sin(27π/62) . sin(29π/62)
Can you double-check, is the denominator in all those terms supposed to be 62 or 64?

Redbelly98 said:
Can you double-check, is the denominator in all those terms supposed to be 62 or 64?

Actually, it works even more nicely being 62 than 64 :wink:

vela said:
Wikipedia cites a relevant identity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Identities_without_variables

I had never seen it before, though.

I also had never seen it before, phew

Mentallic said:
harimakenji, I've done stuff like this in an advanced class in high school (in Australia it is called extension 2 mathematics) but usually they first make us prove the given identity as vela has posted and then finally using the formula to evaluate the question that you've been given. Are you sure this question wasn't a continuation from a bigger problem?

The question is just like this, no bigger problem. This is the question for my brother in grade 11.

Redbelly98 said:
It is 62. I've checked the result using calculator and it is very nice result, 1 / 32

I can solve this question using the link given by vela. I can't do this without all the help here. Thank you very much for the help (vela, mentallic, redbelly98). I really appreciate all the things I got from here. Once again, thank you.

1. What is the purpose of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the relationship between angles and sides of triangles. Its main purpose is to solve problems related to triangles, such as finding missing sides or angles, and to model and analyze periodic phenomena in nature and science.

2. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to design and build structures, calculate distances and heights, and predict the orbits of celestial bodies. Additionally, it is used in navigation, surveying, and even in the development of video games and animations.

3. What are the main trigonometric functions?

The main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions represent the ratios between the sides of a right triangle and are used to calculate angles and sides of triangles. Other important trigonometric functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent, which are the reciprocals of sine, cosine, and tangent, respectively.

4. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to relate the values of trigonometric functions to the angles in a right triangle. The coordinates of points on the unit circle correspond to the sine and cosine of the angle formed by the ray from the origin to that point and the positive x-axis.

5. How can trigonometry be applied to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometry can be applied to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the height of a building, determining the distance between two points, and calculating the trajectory of a projectile. It can also be used to analyze the motion of waves and vibrations, and to model and predict the behavior of natural phenomena such as tides and sound waves.