Find Value of Limit Involving Trig. Identity w/o L'hopital Rule

What the book may have wanted is a discussion of why the limit is 4.5 - that would be a good exercise.
songoku

Homework Statement

Find the value of:

lim x approaches 0 of : (3x - sin 3x) / (x2 sin x)

Homework Equations

Trigonometry identity
Limit properties
No L'hopital rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried changing sin 3x to -4sin3x + 3 sin x but then I stuck. Is changing sin 3x correct way to start solving the question?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You do remember that [itex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(z)}{z}=1 [/itex]?

Svein said:
You do remember that [itex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(z)}{z}=1 [/itex]?

Yes I do but I don't know how to use it to solve this question.

Dividing all the terms by x resulting in:

[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{3 - \frac{\sin(3x)}{x}}{x \sin(x)}}[/itex]

[itex] = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{3 - 3}{x \sin(x)}[/itex]

Then stuck

songoku said:
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{3 - \frac{\sin(3x)}{x}}{x \sin(x)}}[/itex]

[itex] = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{3 - 3}{x \sin(x)}[/itex]
That step is not valid. You cannot take the limit in the numerator only, then in the denominator. The two must be done together.
I would expand sin() as a power series, keeping two or three terms. Not sure if that would be considered allowable in your context.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
That step is not valid. You cannot take the limit in the numerator only, then in the denominator. The two must be done together.
I would expand sin() as a power series, keeping two or three terms. Not sure if that would be considered allowable in your context.

Sorry that is not allowed. No other way to solve it?

songoku said:
Sorry that is not allowed. No other way to solve it?
What's the context for this problem? By that, I mean where did you see this problem? The limit is apparently 4.5, but the only way I've been able to get that is by using haruspex's suggestion, in addition to using Excel to approximate the limit.

songoku said:

Homework Statement

Find the value of:

lim x approaches 0 of : (3x - sin 3x) / (x2 sin x)

Homework Equations

Trigonometry identity
Limit properties
No L'hopital rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried changing sin 3x to -4sin3x + 3 sin x but then I stuck. Is changing sin 3x correct way to start solving the question?

Thanks
It does look like your initial approach can get you part way there.

##\displaystyle \ \frac {3x-\sin(3x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} = \frac {3x-3\sin(x)+4\sin^3(x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} \ ##

##\displaystyle \ =\frac {3x-3\sin(x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} + \frac {4\sin^3(x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} \ ##​

The limit of the second term is straight forward.

The first term remains somewhat a problem. Maybe Mark or haruspex has an idea for that.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
What's the context for this problem? By that, I mean where did you see this problem? The limit is apparently 4.5, but the only way I've been able to get that is by using haruspex's suggestion, in addition to using Excel to approximate the limit.

From a book I use in high school. This is the question from exercise in the book. The question says: find the limit of the following, then there are a lot of limit questions, from (a) to (z). One of the question is exactly as I posted. The book doesn't cover about power series and at that point (when I saw that question), I haven't learn about L'hopital rule yet.

SammyS said:

##\displaystyle \ \frac {3x-\sin(3x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} = \frac {3x-3\sin(x)+4\sin^3(x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} \ ##

##\displaystyle \ =\frac {3x-3\sin(x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} + \frac {4\sin^3(x)}{x^2 \sin(x)} \ ##​

The first term remains somewhat a problem. Maybe Mark or harspex has an idea for that.

Maybe the question is misplaced, should not be on that part of exercise. I should cover L'hopital rule or power series first before solving that type of question.
Thanks a lot for all the help

SammyS said:

The first term remains somewhat a problem. Maybe Mark or harspex has an idea for that.

songoku said:
From a book I use in high school. This is the question from exercise in the book. The question says: find the limit of the following, then there are a lot of limit questions, from (a) to (z). One of the question is exactly as I posted. The book doesn't cover about power series and at that point (when I saw that question), I haven't learn about L'hopital rule yet.

Maybe the question is misplaced, should not be on that part of exercise. I should cover L'hopital rule or power series first before solving that type of question.
Regarding the first term of what Sammy shows above, the only techniques that I can think of are 1) expanding the sin(3x) term (which would be ##3x - \frac{3x^3}{3!}## plus terms of degree 5 and higher), or 2) using L'Hopital's rule, which has to be applied four times.. Either way gives the result I showed in my earlier post.

Likes songoku

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It is a way to express the relationship between different trigonometric functions.

2. Why is the L'Hopital rule not used to find the limit involving trigonometric identities?

The L'Hopital rule is a method used to find limits involving indeterminate forms, but it is not applicable for limits involving trigonometric identities because they are not indeterminate forms.

3. How do you solve a limit involving a trigonometric identity without using the L'Hopital rule?

To solve a limit involving a trigonometric identity without using the L'Hopital rule, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression and then evaluate the limit.

4. Are there any specific trigonometric identities that are useful in finding limits?

Yes, there are several trigonometric identities that are commonly used in finding limits, such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

5. Can a limit involving a trigonometric identity have multiple solutions?

Yes, a limit involving a trigonometric identity can have multiple solutions depending on the values of the variables involved and the specific trigonometric identities used to simplify the expression. It is important to check for any restrictions on the variables and to consider all possible solutions when solving these types of limits.