Evaluating a definite integral

In summary, the given integral can be simplified by dividing the numerator and denominator by $x^2$. Then, by substituting $\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)$ as $t$, the integral can be evaluated as $x-\ln \left|\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)\right|+\mathbb{C}$.
Saitama
Problem:
$$\int_1^e \frac{1+x^2\ln x}{x+x^2\ln x}\,\,dx$$

Attempt:
I tried the substitution $\ln x=t \Rightarrow dx/x=dt$ and got the following integral:
$$\int_0^1 \frac{1+e^{2t}t}{1+e^t t}\,dt$$
I am not sure how to proceed after this. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Adding and subtracting $x$ might make thinks a little bit easier.

Hi ZaidAlyafey! :)

ZaidAlyafey said:
Adding and subtracting $x$ might make thinks a little bit easier.

I must be missing something but I get stuck on the following:
$$\int_1^e 1+\frac{1-x}{x+x^2\ln x} \,dx$$
How do I proceed after this? :confused:

Write the integrand as
$$\frac{1+x^2 \log(x)}{x+x^2 \log(x)}= 1+\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1+\log(x)}{1+x\log(x)}$$
Now integrate:
$$ \int \frac{1+x^2 \log(x)}{x+x^2 \log(x)}dx=x+\log(x)-\log(1+x\log(x))+C$$

Shobhit said:
Write the integrand as
$$\frac{1+x^2 \log(x)}{x+x^2 \log(x)}= 1+\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1+\log(x)}{1+x\log(x)}$$

How did you think of that? It doesn't seem obvious to me. :confused:

$\displaystyle \int \frac{1+x^2 \ln (x)}{x+x^2\ln(x)}dx$

Now Divide both Numerator and Denominator by $x^2$

$\displaystyle \int\frac{\frac{1}{x^2}+\ln(x)}{\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)}dx = \int \frac{\left(\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)\right)-\left(\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)}{\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)}dx$

Now Let $\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}+\ln(x) = t$, Then $\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)dx = dt$

$\displaystyle = x-\int\frac{1}{t}dt = x-\ln \left|\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)\right|+\mathbb{C}$

jacks said:
$\displaystyle \int \frac{1+x^2 \ln (x)}{x+x^2\ln(x)}dx$

Now Divide both Numerator and Denominator by $x^2$

$\displaystyle \int\frac{\frac{1}{x^2}+\ln(x)}{\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)}dx = \int \frac{\left(\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)\right)-\left(\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)}{\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)}dx$

Now Let $\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}+\ln(x) = t$, Then $\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)dx = dt$

$\displaystyle = x-\int\frac{1}{t}dt = x-\ln \left|\frac{1}{x}+\ln(x)\right|+\mathbb{C}$

Thank you jacks! That's much easier. :)

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a given interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit of integration.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the result, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a function as the result.

How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you first need to find the antiderivative of the function being integrated. Then, you substitute the upper limit of integration into the antiderivative and subtract the result from the antiderivative with the lower limit of integration substituted in. The result is the value of the definite integral.

What are some common methods for evaluating definite integrals?

Some common methods for evaluating definite integrals include using the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The chosen method depends on the complexity of the function being integrated.

Why is it important to evaluate definite integrals?

Evaluating definite integrals is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume. It also plays a crucial role in finding solutions to differential equations, which are used to model various natural phenomena.