1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating annihilation and creation operators

1. Jan 17, 2014 #1
    1. Evaluate the following (i.e. get rid of the operators):

[itex]\hat{a}^{+}\left|5\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}\left|5\right\rangle,~~~(\hat{a}^{+})^{3}\left|2\right\rangle~~~\hat{a}^{3}\left|2\right\rangle,~~~(\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\left|1\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\hat{a}\left|1\right\rangle[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\hat{a}\left|n\right\rangle=\sqrt{n}\left|n-1\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}^{+}\left|n\right\rangle=\sqrt{n+1}\left|(n+1)\right\rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The first one is [itex]\sqrt{6}\left|(6)\right\rangle[/itex] and second one [itex]\sqrt{5}\left|(4)\right\rangle[/itex]

However I'm unsure how to evaluate for the others using the equations given. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2014 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does the cube of an operator mean ? And lose the round brackets inside the bra and ket | and <> symbols (the pun is not intended).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  4. Jan 17, 2014 #3
    I have no idea how powers affect operators. Can't find any examples in my lecturers notes nor when searching the internet. Really struggling to grasp quantum mechanics as the mathematics I know doesn't seem to apply.

5. Jan 17, 2014 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

It's just like ordinary algebra, e.g., ##x^2 := x \, x##.

So can you evaluate ##(a^+)^2|n\rangle## and ##a^2 |n\rangle## now?

Also, you should be able to evaluate ##a^+ a|n\rangle## with the "relevant equations" you already written down.

6. Jan 18, 2014 #5
    Ahh I see, you just use the operators one by one. Thanks.
    There is one more thing.. what does a ket of a number actually mean?
    I understand that for example [itex]\hat{p}\left|\psi\right\rangle~=~ h/i*d/dx~\psi(x)[/itex] but I don't see how this relates to actual numbers?

7. Jan 18, 2014 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

You didn't specify the context in your original post, so I can only give a broad answer. For the quantized harmonic oscillator, one denotes the ground state (i.e., state of lowest energy) by ##|0\rangle##. The higher energy (eigenstates) are then successively numbered by 1,2,3... etc. The creation and annihilation operators are an example of so-called Ladded Operators which map from one such eigenstate to another. The Wiki page has more info about other contexts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted