• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Evaluating annihilation and creation operators

1. Evaluate the following (i.e. get rid of the operators):

[itex]\hat{a}^{+}\left|5\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}\left|5\right\rangle,~~~(\hat{a}^{+})^{3}\left|2\right\rangle~~~\hat{a}^{3}\left|2\right\rangle,~~~(\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\left|1\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\hat{a}\left|1\right\rangle[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{a}\left|n\right\rangle=\sqrt{n}\left|n-1\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}^{+}\left|n\right\rangle=\sqrt{n+1}\left|(n+1)\right\rangle[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one is [itex]\sqrt{6}\left|(6)\right\rangle[/itex] and second one [itex]\sqrt{5}\left|(4)\right\rangle[/itex]

However I'm unsure how to evaluate for the others using the equations given. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
What does the cube of an operator mean ? And lose the round brackets inside the bra and ket | and <> symbols (the pun is not intended).

Last edited:
What does the cube of an operator mean ? And lose the round brackets inside the bra and ket | and <> symbols (the pun is not intended).
I have no idea how powers affect operators. Can't find any examples in my lecturers notes nor when searching the internet. Really struggling to grasp quantum mechanics as the mathematics I know doesn't seem to apply.

strangerep
Science Advisor
I have no idea how powers affect operators.
It's just like ordinary algebra, e.g., ##x^2 := x \, x##.

So can you evaluate ##(a^+)^2|n\rangle## and ##a^2 |n\rangle## now?

Also, you should be able to evaluate ##a^+ a|n\rangle## with the "relevant equations" you already written down.

Ahh I see, you just use the operators one by one. Thanks.
There is one more thing.. what does a ket of a number actually mean?
I understand that for example [itex]\hat{p}\left|\psi\right\rangle~=~ h/i*d/dx~\psi(x)[/itex] but I don't see how this relates to actual numbers?

strangerep
Science Advisor
There is one more thing.. what does a ket of a number actually mean?
I understand that for example [itex]\hat{p}\left|\psi\right\rangle~=~ h/i*d/dx~\psi(x)[/itex] but I don't see how this relates to actual numbers?
You didn't specify the context in your original post, so I can only give a broad answer. For the quantized harmonic oscillator, one denotes the ground state (i.e., state of lowest energy) by ##|0\rangle##. The higher energy (eigenstates) are then successively numbered by 1,2,3... etc. The creation and annihilation operators are an example of so-called Ladded Operators which map from one such eigenstate to another. The Wiki page has more info about other contexts.