Evaluating definite integrals via substitution.

In summary, the conversation discusses a definite integral problem and the steps taken to solve it. The problem involves evaluating the definite integral of 36x^2(x^3+1)^4, and the conversation includes discussing the use of substitution and updating the limits. The final answer obtained is 708204/5.
shamieh
Can someone make sure I'm on the right track with this problem? I'm a little confused because I thought that when you make a substitution you update the limits and get better numbers to work with when you plug them in the function in the end...Yet, it seems like I almost got worse numbers to work with.. Here is the problem, and what I have done so far.

Evaluate the following definite integral.

\(\displaystyle \int^1_0 36x^2(x^3 + 1)^4\)

\(\displaystyle u = x^3 + 1\)
\(\displaystyle du = 3x^2\)

But I don't have a \(\displaystyle 3x^2\) up top, I have a \(\displaystyle 36x^2\) so I divided out and got

\(\displaystyle \frac{du}{3} = x^2\)

now I update the limits and I get

\(\displaystyle 0^3 + 1 = 1\)
\(\displaystyle 1^3 + 1 = 2\)
so

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \int^2_1 du * u^4 = \frac{1}{3} * \frac{1}{5}u^5 = \frac{1}{15} * (2^3 + 1)^4] - [\frac{1}{15} * (1^3 + 1)^4]\)

Does this look correct? or have i messed up somewhere? I mean really i have to do \(\displaystyle 9^4\)? (sorry if that sounds ignorant, just want to make sure)

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \int^2_1 du * u^4 = \frac{1}{3} * \frac{1}{5}u^5 = \frac{1}{15} * (2^3 + 1)^4] - [\frac{1}{15} * (1^3 + 1)^4]\)
\(\displaystyle 36 \, \int^2_1 \frac{du}{3}\cdot \, u^4 =12 \int^2_1 \, du \cdot u^4\)

I would write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle 12\int_0^1\left(x^3+1 \right)^4\,3x^2\,dx\)

to get the result obtained by ZaidAlyafey.

Seems I forgot to include the original 36 in the problem.

so I ended up with this:

\(\displaystyle [\frac{12}{5} (2^3 + 1)^5] - [\frac{12}{5} (1^3 + 1)^5]\)

\(\displaystyle [\frac{12}{5} * 59,049] - [\frac{12}{5} * 32]\)

\(\displaystyle [\frac{708,588}{5}] - [\frac{384}{5}] = \frac{708,204}{5}\)

This doesn't seem right though...Can anyone check my work?

As you have not changed \(\displaystyle x\) to \(\displaystyle u\) you can't change limts from \(\displaystyle \int_0^1\) to \(\displaystyle \int_1^2\):rolleyes:

mathworker said:
As you have not changed \(\displaystyle x\) to \(\displaystyle u\) you can't change limts from \(\displaystyle \int_0^1\) to \(\displaystyle \int_1^2\):rolleyes:

?:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else getting \(\displaystyle \frac{708204}{5}\) ?

\(\displaystyle 12 \int^2_1 \, du \cdot u^4 = \frac{12}{5} \left( 2^5-1\right) = \frac{31 \cdot 12}{5}=\frac{372}{5}\)

ZaidAlyafey said:
\(\displaystyle 12 \int^2_1 \, du \cdot u^4 = \frac{12}{5} \left( 2^5-1\right) = \frac{31 \cdot 12}{5}=\frac{372}{5}\)
Zaid, is it because I changed the limits that I don't have to say, for example, [higher limit in the function] - [the lower limit in the function?]

In any other limit problem I would say [maximum limit plugged into antiderivative ] - [minimum plugged into antiderivative].. now you are just saying [maximum number plugged into anti derivative?]

Well, if you want to be in the safe side just find the anti-derivative. which is in your case

\(\displaystyle 12\frac{(x^3+1)^5}{5}+C\)

It remains just to use the FTC.

Awesome, thanks.

Instead of

\(\displaystyle \frac{12}{5}(2)^5 - \frac{12}{5} (1)^5\)

I was doing \(\displaystyle \frac{12}{5}(2^3 + 1)^4\) - ...(Dull)

1. How do you know when to use substitution for evaluating a definite integral?

Substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a function that can be expressed in terms of another variable. This often occurs when the integrand contains a polynomial, trigonometric, or exponential function.

2. What is the first step in evaluating a definite integral using substitution?

The first step is to identify the variable to substitute. This is typically the variable that appears in the denominator or in the exponent of a function in the integrand.

3. Can you explain the process of substitution for evaluating definite integrals?

Substitution involves replacing the variable in the original integral with a new variable, and then using the chain rule to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable. This allows for the integral to be evaluated using basic integration techniques.

4. Are there any special cases when using substitution for evaluating definite integrals?

Yes, there are some cases when u-substitution may not work. This can happen when the integrand contains a function that does not have an inverse, or when the integrand is not continuous on the interval of integration.

5. Can you provide an example of evaluating a definite integral using substitution?

Sure, let's say we want to evaluate the integral ∫01 x√(1-x²) dx. We can use the substitution u = 1-x² to rewrite the integral as ∫10 √u du. This can then be integrated using the power rule to get the final answer of ⅔.