1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Fractions with fractorials

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    Evaluate each factorial expression

A) (n+2)!/n!

My book doesn't really show how to come up with a solution. After looking in the back for the answer it showed (n+2)(n+1), which works if you plug in random values for x. "After" seeing the answer I reasoned maybe it could be broken down as (n+1)(n+2)n!/n!, but not really understanding why... like how am I factoring out the n! & ending up with that?

Here is another one I'm struggling with n!/(n-1)!. Here again, the book shows the answer to be n, which works, but can't quiet figure out how to get started. I thought maybe it'd be n!/(n-1)n! but that doesn't give me n as an answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well look at this:

4! = 4*3*2*1

n! = n*(n-1)*(n-2)* ... *2*1

So now, what do you think of the:
    (n+2)!

4. Aug 8, 2007 #3
    I think it helps as malawi_glenn said to expand the factorials.

[tex]\frac{(n+2)!}{n!} = \frac{(n+2)*(n+1)*(n)*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*2*1}{(n)*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*2*1}[/tex]

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4
    Ok, that helps I think. So with say this one n!/(n-1)! that is like saying

n(n-1)(n-2).../(n-1)(n-2)... = n

Its like the denominator starts at (n-1) instead of n in the sequence & the rest just cancels out, correct? Thanks for the help.

6. Aug 9, 2007 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yes.
    If you are not comfortable with doing it with n, try to do it with a number, say 5, in the begining, then you will get more comfortable with the more abstract ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?