Calculate P(|Xn| > .08), n = 16

• Thread starter Addez123
  • Start date
In summary, the person tried to solve a problem by converting it to a normal distribution with a mean of 0.1 and standard deviation of 8/sqrt(16). They calculated the probability of the absolute value of the variable being greater than 0.08, which came out to be 0.9284. However, the correct answer was 0.968, and upon further investigation, they realized they had incorrectly calculated the probability using limits that were not symmetrical about the mean. After correcting the calculation, they arrived at the correct answer.
Addez123
Homework Statement
X1, X2.. are independend, equally distributed measuring errors with expected value .1 and standard deviation 8.
Xn = (X1 + X2 + ... + Xn) / n
Calculate P(|Xn| > .08) for n = 16
Relevant Equations
$$X + Y = N(u_x + u_y, \sqrt{\sigma_x^2 + \sigma_y^2}$$
Here's how I tried to solve it.
$$Xn = N(.1 * n, \sigma*\sqrt{n}) / n = N(.1, 8 / \sqrt{16}) = N(.1, 2)$$
$$P(|Xn| > .08) = 1 - P(-.08 < x < .08) = $$
$$1 - (1 - 2P(x < -.08)) = 2P(x < -.08) =$$
$$2*\phi(\frac {-.08 - .1}{2}) = 2\phi(-.09) =$$
$$2 * (1 - \phi(.09)) = 2 * (1 - .5358) = .9284$$

Answer in my book says .968, its too much to be a rounding error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is P(x<-.08) + P(x>.08) = 2P(x<-.08) when μ≠0?

mjc123 said:
Is P(x<-.08) + P(x>.08) = 2P(x<-.08) when μ≠0?
It's not. But when I calculate the probability I convert it to N(0, 1) distribution:
$$2*\phi(\frac {-.08 - .1}{2}) $$

But that is not right. Do you see why? Your limits are not symmetrical about the mean.

When working with P(x.. I assume the u = 0.
When I later calculate P I use standard normal distribution doing:
$$2*\phi(\frac {-.08 - .1}{2}) $$
instead of just
$$2*\phi(-.08) $$

I don't see how that's wrong?

The limits are -.08 and +.08. The mean is 0.1. Translated into a standard normal distribution, you are looking at the range -.09 to -.01. The probability is not 2φ(-.09). It is φ(-.09) + 1-φ(-.01).

• Informative
Likes Addez123
Aha, that was the issue. Re did it and now I get the correct answer, thanks!

What does "Calculate P(|Xn| > .08), n = 16" mean?

This is a statistical calculation that is asking for the probability of the absolute value of a random variable (Xn) being greater than 0.08, with a sample size of 16.

What is the purpose of calculating P(|Xn| > .08), n = 16?

This calculation can be used to determine the likelihood of a specific event occurring, based on a given set of data. In this case, it is looking at the probability of a random variable being greater than 0.08, which can provide valuable insights in various fields of science.

How do you calculate P(|Xn| > .08), n = 16?

To calculate this probability, you would need to first determine the distribution of the random variable and then use mathematical formulas or statistical software to find the probability. The specific method of calculation may vary depending on the type of distribution.

What factors can affect the value of P(|Xn| > .08), n = 16?

The value of this probability can be affected by various factors, such as the sample size, the distribution of the random variable, and the specific value being compared (in this case, 0.08). Other factors, such as the inclusion of outliers or the accuracy of the data, can also impact the calculated probability.

How can the result of P(|Xn| > .08), n = 16 be interpreted?

The result of this calculation is a probability value between 0 and 1. A higher probability indicates that the event (in this case, the random variable being greater than 0.08) is more likely to occur, while a lower probability suggests that the event is less likely to occur. This result can be used to make informed decisions or draw conclusions in various scientific studies.