1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating limit at infinity by Maclaurin series

1. Apr 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've begun going through Boas' Math Methods in the Physical Sciences and am stuck on problem 1.15.25. The problem is to evaluate
    ## \lim_{x\to \infty } x^n e^{-x} ##
    By using the Maclaurin expansion for ##e^{x}##.

2. Relevant equations
    We know the Maclaurin expansion for the exponential function to be
    ## 1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+\frac{x^4}{24}+\text{...}##
    We are also given the hint to divide the numerator and denominator by ##x^n## before taking the limit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Taking the hint I proceed
    ##
    e^{-x} x^n=\frac{x^n}{e^x}=\frac{1}{\frac{e^x}{x^n}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}\left(1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}+\frac{x^4}{24}+\text{...}\right)}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{x}{x^n}+\frac{x^2}{2 x^n}+\frac{x^3}{6 x^n}+\frac{x^4}{24 x^n}+\text{...}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{1}{x^{n-1}}+\frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}}+\frac{1}{6 x^{n-3}}+\frac{1}{24 x^{n-4}}+\text{...}}

##
    I really don't see how this helps me as I let x go to infinity.
    Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I had Ralph Boas (husband of the author of that book) for a math course once. He was a very sweet old guy.

I'm not exactly sure how she wants you to solve the problem, but if you could prove that, for [itex]x[/itex] large enough, [itex]e^x > x^{n+1}[/itex], then it would follow that [itex]x^n/e^x < 1/x[/itex].

4. Apr 10, 2017 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The denominator is ##\frac{1}{x^n}+\frac{1}{x^{n-1}}+\frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}}+\text{...}+\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...}##
    What happens if x goes to infinity?

5. Apr 12, 2017 #4
    As x goes to infinity, ##\frac{1}{x^n}, \frac{1}{x^{n-1}}, \frac{1}{2 x^{n-2}},...## go to zero leaving us to evaluate the rest of the series ##\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...}##

The only step I can see from here is to factor out an n!.
    ##\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{1}{(n+1)!}x+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}x^2+\text{...} = \frac{1}{n!}+\frac{x}{(n+1) n!}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1) n!}+\text{...} = \frac{1}{n!}\left(1+\frac{x}{n+1}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1)}+\text{...}\right)##
    And once again I'm stuck as I know of no way to evaluate this.

6. Apr 12, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##x > 0##, all the terms in the series for ##e^x## are positive, so ##e^x > x^{n+k}/(n+k)!, ## hence
    $$\frac{x^n}{e^x} < \frac{x^n}{x^{n+k}/(n+k)!} = (n+k)!/x^k. $$

7. Apr 12, 2017 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Seems like you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Doesn't
    $$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1}{n!} + \frac{1}{(n+1)!} x + \cdots$$ diverge?

8. Apr 12, 2017 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that n is a finite number.
    ##1+\frac{x}{n+1}+\frac{x^2}{(n+2) (n+1)}+\text{...}>1+\frac{x}{n+1}## which goes to infinity if x-->∞. What is the limit of its reciprocal?

9. Apr 12, 2017 #8
    Thank you all! The fact that n is a fixed finite constant was the fundamental concept I wasn't using in my solution. I now can see that once I take the limit of the reciprocal sum it goes to zero =)

You have no idea how frustrating this problem has been (for no good reason). Thank you al for sharing your insights with a fresh pair of eyes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted