A question about definite integrals and series limits

KungPeng Zhou
Homework Statement
##a_{n}=\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{1-x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx##, evaluate ##\underset{n\rightarrow \infty} {\lim}a_{n}##
Relevant Equations
FTC
In my opinion , if it can be shown that this is a monotonically bounded sequence, one can confirm that there is a limit.
First,we know $$ \frac{1-x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx=(1-x^{2}) (1+x^{2}) ^{n-1}=(1-x^{4}) ^{n-1}(1+x^{2}).$$
According to the integral median theorem,we can get $$a_n=(2- \sqrt{3} ) (1-\alpha^{4})^{n-1}(1+x^{2}), \alpha\in[0,2-\sqrt{3}]$$
But I don't know how to continue with the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you fix your Latex?. You need two dollar signs.

PeroK said:
Fixed it. I think.

KungPeng Zhou said:
First,we know $$ \frac{1-x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx=(1-x^{2}) (1+x^{2}) ^{n-1}=(1-x^{4}) ^{n-1}(1+x^{2}).$$
I don't think we know this at all.
If n = 2, we have this:
$$\frac{1-x^8}{1+x^2} = \frac{(1 - x^4)(1 + x^4)}{1+x^2}$$
$$=\frac{(1 + x^2)(1 - x^2)(1 + x^4)}{1 + x^2} =(1 - x^2)(1 + x^4)$$

I don't see how my final result can be manipulated to get either of your two results.

Minor nit: Your equation shouldn't include dx.

KungPeng Zhou said:
Homework Statement: ##a_{n}=\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{1-x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx##, evaluate ##\underset{n\rightarrow \infty} {\lim}a_{n}##
Relevant Equations: FTC

In my opinion , if it can be shown that this is a monotonically bounded sequence, one can confirm that there is a limit.

Are you sure about that? What you have written for the numerator is [tex]
1 - x^{4n} = (1 - x^{2n})(1 + x^{2n}).[/tex] Did you mean [itex](1 - x^4)^n[/itex]?

If so, you end up with a polynomial in [itex]x[/itex], which you can integrate analytically: [tex]\begin{split}
a_n &= \int_0^{2 - \sqrt{3}} (1 - x^4)^{n-1}(1 - x^2)\,dx \\
&= \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \binom{n-1}{k}(-1)^k \int_0^{2-\sqrt{3}} x^{4k} - x^{4k + 2}\,dx. \end{split}[/tex]

pasmith said:
1 - x^{4n} = (1 - x^{2n})(1 + x^{2n}).[/tex] Did you mean [itex](1 - x^4)^n[/itex]?
As far as I can tell, no, that's not what the OP meant.
The original text of the numerator, before it was formatted by another mentor, was "1 - x^{4n}". The braces around 4n suggest to me that the intended exponent on x was 4n. I.e., that the numerator wasn't intended to be ##(1 - x^4)^n##.

PeroK said:

pasmith said:

If so, you end up with a polynomial in [itex]x[/itex], which you can integrate analytically: [tex]\begin{split}
a_n &= \int_0^{2 - \sqrt{3}} (1 - x^4)^{n-1}(1 - x^2)\,dx \\
&= \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \binom{n-1}{k}(-1)^k \int_0^{2-\sqrt{3}} x^{4k} - x^{4k + 2}\,dx. \end{split}[/tex]
Maybe I have found a better way to solve the question. ##a_n=\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{1-x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx=\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}dx-\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx=arctan(2-\sqrt{3}) -arctan0-\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx=\frac{π}{12}-\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx##
It is apparently that we know,
##0<\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx<\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}x^{4n}dx<\int_{0}^{1}x^{4n}dx<\frac{1}{1+4n}##,according to Squeeze Theorem, we can get the answer easily. So the answer is ##\frac{π}{12}##

KungPeng Zhou said:
It is apparently that we know, ##0<\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx<\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}x^{4n}dx<\int_{0}^{1}x^{4n}dx<\frac{1}{1+4n}##
Can you justify the last inequality?
IOW, can you explain why ##\int_{0}^{1}x^{4n}dx<\frac{1}{1+4n}## must be true?

Mark44 said:
Can you justify the last inequality?
IOW, can you explain why ##\int_{0}^{1}x^{4n}dx<\frac{1}{1+4n}## must be true?
Sorry,maybe there is an error ##\int_{0}^{1}x^{4n}dx=\frac{1}{1+4n}##
So, we know
$$0<\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx<\frac{1}{1+4n}$$

Likes Mark44
Since |x|<1 throughout the range, why not take the limit first, then integrate?

Likes KungPeng Zhou
haruspex said:
Since |x|<1 throughout the range, why not take the limit first, then integrate?
It's very good. We can evaluate it easier with the way.

KungPeng Zhou said:
Sorry,maybe there is an error ##\int_{0}^{1}x^{4n}dx=\frac{1}{1+4n}##
So, we know
$$0<\int_{0}^{2-\sqrt{3}}\frac{x^{4n}}{1+x^{2}}dx<\frac{1}{1+4n}$$

[tex]\left| a_n - \frac{\pi}{12}\right| = \int_0^{2-\sqrt{3}} \frac{x^{4n}}{1 + x^2}\,dx <
\int_0^{2-\sqrt{3}} x^{4n}\,dx =
\frac{(2 - \sqrt{3})^{4n+1}}{4n+1}[/tex] is a tighter bound; depending on what you're doing convergence as [itex](4n+1)^{-1}[/itex] may not be adequate.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
[tex]\left| a_n - \frac{\pi}{12}\right| = \int_0^{2-\sqrt{3}} \frac{x^{4n}}{1 + x^2}\,dx <
\int_0^{2-\sqrt{3}} x^{4n}\,dx =
\frac{(2 - \sqrt{3})^{4n+1}}{4n+1}[/tex] is a tighter bound; depending on what you're doing convergence as [itex](4n+1)^{-1}[/itex] may not be adequate.
Yes, it's tighter. It seems like the definition of limits.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the signed area under a curve between two points on the x-axis. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific interval.

2. How is a definite integral different from an indefinite integral?

Unlike a definite integral, an indefinite integral does not have specific limits of integration and represents the general antiderivative of a function. In other words, an indefinite integral gives a family of functions, while a definite integral gives a single numerical value.

3. What are the applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to find the area under a curve, calculate displacement and velocity, determine the volume of a solid, and solve optimization problems.

4. What is the limit of a series?

A limit of a series is the value that a sequence of numbers approaches as the number of terms in the series increases to infinity. It is used to determine if a series converges or diverges.

5. How do you find the limit of a series?

To find the limit of a series, you can use various techniques such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. These methods involve evaluating the terms of the series and determining if they approach a finite value or if they diverge to infinity.