1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating piecewise functions. Please help if you can.

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To make it clearer, I uploaded the problem to this attachment.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36660&stc=1&d=1308787359

The directions to this question tis to evalutate using several different numbers. One of the numbers given is g(5).

In this case, I do not understand what I have to do and this is summer homework so I cannot ask the teacher that gave this assignment.

3. The attempt at a solution

Is it just asking me to plug in the numbers so I would have 11, x>=3 and then -47, x< 3?

It seems too simple and really doesnt seem like the correct answer. I think I'm confused as to how I am supposed to evaluate this piecewise function. Any ideas here?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2
    Oh! forget that I asked this. I dont know what I was thinking. All i had to do was follow the commad x was asking, so this answer would be 11. lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook