• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Evaluating the limit of a triple-variable function

• Thread starter Elbobo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find
[tex]\lim_ {(x,y,z) \rightarrow (0,0,0)} \frac{xy + 2yz^2 + 3xz^2}{x2 + y2 + z4}[/tex]
if it exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to evaluate limits with three variables, I tried letting x=y=0, then letting z approach 0. Then y=z=0, letting x approach 0. Then z=x=0, letting y approach 0. All three limits produced 0, but the answer is not 0.

Answers and Replies

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You could try paths away from some of the axes, like z=0, x=y.

So I'm just supposed to do trial-and-error to find a path that proves the limit doesn't exist? How would I approach a problem where the limit does exist?

For the two-variable case, I would also use x=0 then y=mx, which would take care of all paths and leave no room for any misses. Is there a way to do such a thing in the three-variable case, at least at my level of math?

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think it is basically trial and error. Even using all lines may not be sufficient to show that a limit exists. For your function, you get different limits along the parabolae y=0, x=z2 and x=0, y=z2. By comparing relative powers of the variable in a rational function, you can usually determine the curves that you need to check.