"Evaluation > Debugger" missing (Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4)

In summary, the conversation discusses the absence of the Evaluation > Debugger menu item in the Raspberry Pi version of Mathematica and the possibility that it was intentionally disabled or still in development. The group discusses the potential reasons for this limitation and the business strategies of different vendors. It is mentioned that the Pi version of Mathematica is still in development and will eventually reach parity with the main product.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I don't have the menu item Evaluation > Debugger .

Could it be a limitation of the Raspberry Pi version of Mathematica? Or are there other potential reasons for it? Can anyone with a RasPi using Mathematica check if they have the debug menu?

Physics news on Phys.org
From this discussion it would appear that they aren't deliberately limiting any feature.
https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/157817
It's likely more a question of just getting round to doing any extra work that a feature might need (over and above just compiling the regular code for the Pi). Maybe debugging needs extra work for each hardware & OS combo?

We're still working very hard on this product and platform, though, so it should approach parity with the main product over time.
- Alex Newman, Wolfram Research, Inc.

Likes jedishrfu
Could be. I know some vendors develop betas on a future platform giving them away free until they have version 1.0 and then its pay time. Every vendor's business strategy is different so you'll just have to wait and see.

MATLAB is a perfect example of giving students access at $100 a copy and then when they start working their companies foot the bill which is considerably higher buying department-wide or site-wide licenses.

What is the purpose of using the debugger in Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4?

The debugger in Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4 is used for identifying and fixing errors in code. It allows the user to step through their code line by line, track the values of variables, and find the source of any bugs.

How do I access the debugger in Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4?

To access the debugger in Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4, you can use the command Debug[] or go to the Evaluation menu and click on Debugger.

Can I set breakpoints in the debugger?

Yes, breakpoints can be set in the debugger by selecting the desired line of code and clicking on the Breakpoint button or by using the command SetDelayedBreakpoint[].

What types of errors can the debugger in Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4 help me find?

The debugger can help identify syntax errors, runtime errors, and logical errors in your code. It can also help track down errors related to variable values and function outputs.

Are there any tips for using the debugger effectively in Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4?

Some tips for using the debugger effectively include setting clear and specific breakpoints, using the Step Over button to move through code line by line, and using the Watch window to track the values of important variables.