1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaporation from a swimming pool

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A) How much energy is required to evaporate all the water in a swimming pool of area 119 m2 and depth 2.4 m on a typical summer day? (Please note that the temperature of the water in the lake stays the same.) (For latent heat of vaporization use 2200 kJ/kg.)

B) The intensity of sunlight is about 1038 W/m2. If all the energy is absorbed by the water in the pool, how long will it take the water to evaporate?

2. Relevant equations

I got part A which is 628320000000 J. That is correct. It's part B that I cant solve.

I know I use I=Q/t and solve for t.

3. The attempt at a solution

When i solve for t I get 605317919.1 s.

Im pretty sure it is in seconds so I convert it to days and i get 7005.99 days.

THIS ISNT CORRECT!! IDK what im doing wrong..any guidance or input will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2
    This is incorrect because it is the equation for electrical current. You are given the intensity I = 1038 W/(m^2). Look at the units. What terms are associated with "W" and "m^2"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook