Evaporation from a swimming pool

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of energy required to evaporate all the water in a swimming pool and how long it would take for the water to evaporate if all the energy from sunlight is absorbed. The correct energy calculation for part A is 628320000000 J and part B requires using the equation I=Q/t, but the attempt at solving for t is incorrect due to using the wrong equation. The correct equation is not provided, but the key is to consider the units associated with the intensity I = 1038 W/(m^2).
jabbie3

Homework Statement

A) How much energy is required to evaporate all the water in a swimming pool of area 119 m2 and depth 2.4 m on a typical summer day? (Please note that the temperature of the water in the lake stays the same.) (For latent heat of vaporization use 2200 kJ/kg.)

B) The intensity of sunlight is about 1038 W/m2. If all the energy is absorbed by the water in the pool, how long will it take the water to evaporate?

Homework Equations

I got part A which is 628320000000 J. That is correct. It's part B that I can't solve.

I know I use I=Q/t and solve for t.

The Attempt at a Solution

When i solve for t I get 605317919.1 s.

Im pretty sure it is in seconds so I convert it to days and i get 7005.99 days.

THIS ISNT CORRECT! IDK what I am doing wrong..any guidance or input will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
jabbie3 said:
I know I use I=Q/t and solve for t.

This is incorrect because it is the equation for electrical current. You are given the intensity I = 1038 W/(m^2). Look at the units. What terms are associated with "W" and "m^2"?

I would like to clarify some points in this question. Firstly, it is important to note that the intensity of sunlight can vary depending on location, time of day, and weather conditions. For the purpose of this calculation, we will assume that the intensity of sunlight remains constant at 1038 W/m2 throughout the day.

Now, to answer part A, the energy required to evaporate all the water in the swimming pool can be calculated using the formula Q = mL, where Q is the energy, m is the mass of water, and L is the latent heat of vaporization. Given the area and depth of the pool, we can calculate the volume of water using the formula V = A * d, where A is the area and d is the depth. Using this volume, we can then calculate the mass of water using the density of water. Finally, plugging in the values for m and L, we get the correct answer of 628320000000 J.

Moving on to part B, the equation I = Q/t can only be used if the energy absorbed by the water is known. In this case, we are given the intensity of sunlight, but we do not know how much of that energy is actually absorbed by the water. Additionally, there are other factors that can affect the rate of evaporation, such as wind speed, humidity, and temperature. Therefore, it is not possible to accurately calculate the time it would take for the water to evaporate based on the given information.

In conclusion, while the energy required to evaporate all the water in the swimming pool can be accurately calculated, the time it would take for it to evaporate cannot be accurately determined without more specific information about the conditions.

1. What causes evaporation in a swimming pool?

Evaporation in a swimming pool is caused by the movement of water molecules on the surface of the pool. As the water molecules gain energy from the sun and heat, they start to move faster and eventually break free from the surface and turn into water vapor, which is then released into the atmosphere.

2. How does evaporation affect the water level in a swimming pool?

Evaporation can cause a decrease in the water level of a swimming pool. As water molecules continue to evaporate from the surface, the overall volume of water in the pool decreases. This can be especially noticeable during hot and dry weather conditions.

3. Can evaporation be prevented in a swimming pool?

While it is not possible to completely prevent evaporation in a swimming pool, there are some measures that can be taken to reduce its effects. Installing a pool cover when the pool is not in use can significantly decrease evaporation. Additionally, keeping the pool temperature lower and reducing the air temperature around the pool can also help reduce evaporation.

4. How does humidity affect evaporation in a swimming pool?

The humidity level in the air can affect the rate of evaporation in a swimming pool. Higher humidity levels tend to slow down evaporation, as the air is already saturated with water vapor. On the other hand, lower humidity levels can increase the rate of evaporation, as the air is able to absorb more water vapor.

5. Is evaporation from a swimming pool a cause for concern?

In general, evaporation from a swimming pool is a natural process and not a cause for concern. However, excessive evaporation can lead to a decrease in water level and an increase in the concentration of chemicals in the pool. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain the water level and chemical balance in a swimming pool to ensure it is safe for use.