Even, Odd,or Neither Odd or Even Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the function h(x)=2x-x2 and its odd and even components. It is determined that h(x) is neither odd nor even, and this is explained through algebraic and numerical examples. The concept of even and odd functions is defined and related to polynomials and analytic functions. The conversation concludes with a thank you to Dr. Baugh for answering the question.
albert2008
Dear People,
I'm sorry to put up such an easy question. But would someone please explain a little further.

h(x)=2x-x2
h(-x)=2(x)-(-x)2 = -2x-x2

Since h(-x) doesn't equal h(x) and h(-x) doens't equal -h(x), we conclude that H is neither even nor odd.

I would have put that this fuction is odd on the test. Why is it neither? The answer is above I was wondering if someone could explain in a different way that i may be able to undestand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albert2008 said:
I would have put that this fuction is odd on the test. Why is it neither? The answer is above I was wondering if someone could explain in a different way that i may be able to undestand.
Why would you have said that it was odd? What is the definition of an odd function?

An odd function is a function (behaving like an odd power of x) for which f(-x)=-f(x).
An even function is a function (behaving like an even power of x) for which f(-x)=f(x).

Any function can be resolved into its even and odd components:

[tex] f(x) = f_{odd}(x) + f_{even}(x)[/tex]
where
[tex] f_{even}(x) = \frac{f(x)+f(-x)}{2}[/tex]
and
[tex] f_{odd}(x) = \frac{f(x)-f(-x)}{2}[/tex]

Note for example that the even and odd components of the exponential function are the hyperbolic trig functions.
[tex] e^x = \cosh(x)+\sinh(x)[/tex]

The use of the "even" and "odd" terms comes from the even and odd components of a polynomial which will be respectively the sum of the even degree terms and the sum of the odd degree terms.

Similarly with "infinite polynomials" i.e. the power series expansion of analytic functions.

FWIW
Another way to look at this is to define oddness and evenness in terms of commutativity or anti-commutativity with the negation function under composition:

[itex] f[/itex] is even iff [itex]\{f,N\}_\circ \equiv f\circ N + N\circ f = 0 [/itex]

[itex] f[/itex] is odd iff [itex][f,N]_\circ \equiv f\circ N - N\circ f = 0 [/itex]

where [itex]N(x) = -x[/itex]

Dear Dr. Baugh,
Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question.

If you don't see why algebraically why it's not odd, try to numerically. Just keep plugging numbers into h(x) a d h(-x) and see if h(-x)=-h(x). Be warned, your teacher probably picked this function because for what would be most people's first two choices of numbers to plug in, it would <i>seem</i> like h(x) is odd.

Then when you find an x that contradicts h(-x)=-h(x), you'll probably see <i>why</i> it didn't hold.

1. What is an even function?

An even function is a type of mathematical function where the output, or y-value, remains unchanged when the input, or x-value, is replaced with its negative counterpart. Visually, this results in a symmetric graph with respect to the y-axis.

2. How can I determine if a function is even?

To determine if a function is even, you can use the property f(-x) = f(x), where f(x) represents the function. This means that if you replace the x-value with its negative counterpart and the output remains the same, then the function is even.

3. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a type of mathematical function where the output, or y-value, changes sign when the input, or x-value, is replaced with its negative counterpart. Visually, this results in a graph that is symmetric with respect to the origin.

4. How can I determine if a function is odd?

To determine if a function is odd, you can use the property f(-x) = -f(x), where f(x) represents the function. This means that if you replace the x-value with its negative counterpart and the output changes sign, then the function is odd.

5. What if a function is neither odd nor even?

If a function is neither odd nor even, then it does not follow the properties of either an odd or even function. This means that the output does not remain unchanged or change sign when the input is replaced with its negative counterpart. Visually, this results in a graph that is not symmetric with respect to the y-axis or the origin.